We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Gifted Deposits... Can anyone help me??
angelangela
Posts: 1 Newbie
Hello all!
Im new to MSE as a member but often turn to it in times of need (thank you Martin Lewis - unsucessful in my bank charges reclaim but I had a damn good go all the way to the FOS!!)
I am looking for help with regards to Gifted Deposits....
I am in the position (again) after a break up of being a first time buyer,
I am looking to save up quite a bit for a deposit in the next year but will still be short of the required 10% min that I have seen advertised for FTB's. I have a few options - I could go Shared Ownership, but new build doesnt appeal and I want to have control over my property and dont fancy anyone else getting rent paid to them whilst I would possibly get a mortgage for the whole amt.
I used to work in an estate agents a few years ago and was wondering whether you can still use a gifted deposit as a way of getting the ever elusive mortgage!
As an example I have seen a property for £200k. (for examples sake) if I had 10k saved but needed that extra 10k and the seller was willing to give me the 10k as gifted deposit is it still legal and do-able? and does anyone know of any lenders that still do it... iv researched but all I get back is OLD info!!
I know a few rules apply...
1. That the surveyor must agree that the £200k is a fair asking price,
but im stuck on how the legalities are around this.... obviously I have to tell my solicitor that a portion of the deposit is gifted, but how do I get around the whole land registry thing?
Sorry If iv gone on abit but wanted to be fully armed with my facts before I go ahead with the suggestion.....
Thanks in advance for your help and again sorry for the rambling!!
Ang
Im new to MSE as a member but often turn to it in times of need (thank you Martin Lewis - unsucessful in my bank charges reclaim but I had a damn good go all the way to the FOS!!)
I am looking for help with regards to Gifted Deposits....
I am in the position (again) after a break up of being a first time buyer,
I am looking to save up quite a bit for a deposit in the next year but will still be short of the required 10% min that I have seen advertised for FTB's. I have a few options - I could go Shared Ownership, but new build doesnt appeal and I want to have control over my property and dont fancy anyone else getting rent paid to them whilst I would possibly get a mortgage for the whole amt.
I used to work in an estate agents a few years ago and was wondering whether you can still use a gifted deposit as a way of getting the ever elusive mortgage!
As an example I have seen a property for £200k. (for examples sake) if I had 10k saved but needed that extra 10k and the seller was willing to give me the 10k as gifted deposit is it still legal and do-able? and does anyone know of any lenders that still do it... iv researched but all I get back is OLD info!!
I know a few rules apply...
1. That the surveyor must agree that the £200k is a fair asking price,
but im stuck on how the legalities are around this.... obviously I have to tell my solicitor that a portion of the deposit is gifted, but how do I get around the whole land registry thing?
Sorry If iv gone on abit but wanted to be fully armed with my facts before I go ahead with the suggestion.....
Thanks in advance for your help and again sorry for the rambling!!
Ang
0
Comments
-
Don't think they really exist anymore, you have to declare them to your lender who will most probably say know. Gift deposits were just a big way of defrauding the market and thankfully gone.
Better off saving a deposit longer after the longer you save more house prices fall. After all they came down 1.7% this month alone (Nationwide non season adjusted):exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.
Save our Savers
0 -
I'm not sure what your situation is but given your use of the word 'again' it's worth being aware that if you have owned property before you will also need the money for stamp duty as you won't be a 'FTB'.0
-
Gifted deposits no longer work. Lenders want to see that you are putting in enough of your own money.Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam0
-
There are products available for 5% vendor gifted deposits.
Best thing to do is visit a 'Whole of Market' broker.I am a Mortgage AdviserYou should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards