We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

First time mortgage advice/suggestions/help please!!!!!!!

Hello, I am wondering if anyone can offer some advice, ideas or solutions.

Myself and partner are looking at venturing into the first time buyers market but have hit a stumbling block. Her credit record is impeccable yet mine is the opposite as a few years ago I ended up getting some default notices when I was made redundant.

We have looked at and know she can get a mortgage in her name no problem without me mentioned but obviously I am cautious as due to what my rights would be if anything ever happened.

Firstly is it possible for us to put me on the deeds but not on the mortgage? or Could a solicitor put a legal document in place showing I am entitled to half of any equity if there were future issues?

My concern is that I will be ploughing £1000's into paying the initial deposit, solicitor fees etc and until my credit file is cleaned up would not be able to be named on the mortgage. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions of situations like this? Any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks

Comments

  • 0james0
    0james0 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    To be on the deeds you'll have to be on the mortgage.

    How much deposit have you got? 25% and you might be ok.
    Saving and spending in equal measure
  • Hi Thanks for replying, we're we've got close to £20k deposit already saved. I am worried about even being credit checked by the mortgage companies because it will make my score even worse. Just wondered if there are any other ways around it like a guarantor or something? I sorted myself out about 2 years ago and paid off everything I owed so the defaults show as settled however that doesnt count for much as far as credit scores go I am finding.
  • GMS
    GMS Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    It depends on when the defaults were, how much for, what loan amount you want, income and other factors.

    Speak to a 'Whole of Market' broker, you may find some options are available.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    A guarantor will help if there is a shortfall on income.

    A guarantor cannot help improve credit history I'm afraid.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • I dont think the income is going to be the issue, just the fact my credit rating is poor. Will it be worth pursuing the idea of a higher deposit than £25k if it will make any bearing on the outcome with me on the mortgage application?
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Depending on the exact details of the adverse credit, a 20%-25%+ deposit could well open up more doors for you.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.