We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Will I be accepted for a mortgage?

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster!

My OH and I have been living together for a few years now and have agreed that we now want to put the house in joint names and add me onto the mortgage.

The good points are - we are both employed, good incomes, and the total mortgage amount required is less than 1.5x our joint income. The current LTV is about 60%.

The bad point - about 4 years ago I was working overseas a lot and due to being disorganised and not having direct debits set up (I know, I know!) made a few late payments on credit cards - none were more than a couple of weeks late but in total I have 5 :eek: "1" late payment markers on my report.

How much are these likely to affect us now? Do late payments affect you for a full 6 years like defaults do?

We have no other debts other than a car loan which is on 0% finance so no reason to pay off early - we have the savings available to pay it off in full now if that would help.

Thanks for any advice :beer:

Comments

  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    With those figures you will definitely find a mortgage.

    Steer clear of strict lenders though, who do not like any glitches on credit history.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,857 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    herbiesjp wrote: »
    With those figures you will definitely find a mortgage.

    Steer clear of strict lenders though, who do not like any glitches on credit history.

    can you give us names of any of these please.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Thanks very much HerbiesJP - we were looking at HSBC as the house is currently mortgaged through them, do you think they would be a good bet for us?
  • 0james0
    0james0 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    You'll be fine!

    I'd advise shopping around and getting an AIP with the cheapest lender to see.
    Saving and spending in equal measure
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    jen1978 wrote: »
    Thanks very much HerbiesJP - we were looking at HSBC as the house is currently mortgaged through them, do you think they would be a good bet for us?


    I'd be surprised if they turned you down - however HSBC do like to cherry pick.

    Nationwide also like squeaky clean applications.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.