We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Extending period of mortgage repayment
sebastianj
Posts: 1,039 Forumite
Dear all,
I will in a couple of years time, finish off paying my mortgage but would like to extend this period for a few more years. I have been very happy with my current arrangement with Abbey and I rather continue with them rather than choosing a new lender. I have this Flexi mortgage and have been over paying for a long time.
Can the duration of a mortgage go beyond 65? and to what age? Shall I approach Santender or a new lender?
Any advice most appreciated. Thanking you all in anticipation.
sebastian
I will in a couple of years time, finish off paying my mortgage but would like to extend this period for a few more years. I have been very happy with my current arrangement with Abbey and I rather continue with them rather than choosing a new lender. I have this Flexi mortgage and have been over paying for a long time.
Can the duration of a mortgage go beyond 65? and to what age? Shall I approach Santender or a new lender?
Any advice most appreciated. Thanking you all in anticipation.
sebastian
0
Comments
-
Any help advice most apprerciated,
sebastian0 -
Can the duration of a mortgage go beyond 65?
yes. subject to lending criteria being met.and to what age?
there are no rules saying any maximum.Shall I approach Santender or a new lender?
whichever is best. Its impossible for us to say without the facts.I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0 -
The limit may be 75 for Santander, check with them. Repaying a mortgage after you get the state pension money can be a really good move if you're looking to retire before then. Just need one of the lenders that will let you do it.
There's a list of some current maximum ages in this "Too old for a mortgage" story.
Equity release mortgages are available at older ages than this but are often more expensive. Though the Halifax Retirement Home Plan mentioned on the second page of that story at 2.99% with £1,000 fee and up to 40 year term looks interesting.0 -
Very many thanks to both of you, 'Dunstonh' very precise as usual 'jamesd', Halifax Plan looks very good.
seb0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards