🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Dilemma....help needed

Options
I posted this on my diary and I know that I should really post it on the main board but I trust you lot and would like your opinion before I post it on there.

"I have had a very nice phone call from DH :D his boss has agreed to give him back pay for evening meals bought whilst away, so DH’s expenses this month will be £762.00 his boss said that he’s likely to end up coming out with a bit more than that but DH can’t see how; so based on the above figure, I now have a dilemma.

The car taxes and MOT for DH’s and my cars will come to £454 roughly, I have paid £72 for DS’s school lunches and £55 for both kids school bits, the credit card is up to £1242.00 due to summer holidays and DH being away in Norwich.

Here is the dilemma….Do I?
  • Pay the whole lot off the Credit Card?
  • Use some of it for the car taxes and MOT on DH’s car and the rest for the kids school bits??
  • Or do I split it between the cars and the Credit card??
Help! I’m stuck! :) "

Thanks peeps, what would you do??

Comments

• Lula-Hula
    Lula-Hula Posts: 7,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Tea,

what a nice dilemma to have :D

For what it's worth ...

my plan would be to split it so that you have paid for the cars in full ( & then start saving up each month for next years car expenses) Then pay the rest off the card.

hope that helps

xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks Lula.

Any more help much appreciated from anyone. x
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    hi tea... I would use it on the car and school bits and put whats left to the card... They are essentials afterall... I sense tho that you may be expecting us to say pay it all off the card... in which case I would ask why? How would that benefit you? And does it really make much difference what you do as long as you don't just fritter it?
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 236 payments to go - now £183,036 Equity 26.8%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £5.4K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.2K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi SH, how are you?

Ideally paying it all off the card (which DH wants) in my mind isn't a viable option as there are the other two things to think about.

If I pay the cars out of it then it will be one less thing sorted which as you say is necessary but unsure as what to do with the rest of it, hence the dilemma.

Under no circumstances do I want to fritter it away, you lot have taught me well :) (as tempting as it would be to get a takeaway etc with the rest).

Tea
    x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills