We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Morgage repayment advice

I have recently had to change my morgage from repayment to interest only due to job changes and a reduction in my income.My morgage company where happy to do this and they have given me one year on interest only before I have to return to repayment or to stay on interest only I have to have some sort of savings vehicle .From reading various articles I see that with profits plans have not been preforming very well and I not sure if there is any other type of plan which I can use to ensure that at the end of the term,some 23 years, I would have enough saved to pay off my morgage.Any advice as to which direction I need to be going in would be very helpful as Im not sure where to go.

Comments

  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,727 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    The best kind of mortgage is a repayment mortgage ! that way you know that it will be paid off in 23 years if not sooner so you have 1 year to see how you go.
    I would overpay each month to help reduce the mortgage debt if only by a small amount each month and if you cant afford to go back to repayment in a years time then sell up and find somewhere smaller or cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.