PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

whole house cleaning

Options
2»

Comments

• Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Eunikeliving, Singapore, promoting their own business. :spam:

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ....and when your lacking in motivation, check out Speed cleaning videos on YouTube.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used to take a fortnight off work every April (carefully including my birthday ;) ) for the purpose of spring cleaning the entire house.

I would have a detailed list before I started, as I found that crossing things off the list helped me feel like I was making progress.

I would start at the top and work downwards, systematically.

So my list would start off:

BEDROOM 1
    • wash curtains
    • clean windows
    • empty cupboards/drawers and turf out garbage
    • move furniture; clean behind
    • deep clean floor
    • take down light shade and clean
    • sheep-onna-stick round tops of walls/inaccessible places
    • dust all surfaces, remove/recycle/chuck any garbage
    • wash all washable ornaments
    And so on.

I would REPEAT the list for Bedroom 2 (this is what I mean about it being detailed) and do a similar type of list for each room, including the hallway and landing (I had a house as opposed to a bungalow back then).

It means that not only do you get to do frequent list crossing-off (good for motivation), if for some reason something needs to be left til later (eg you want to wash 2 sets of curtains together) you can easily see what still needs to be done.

HTH :o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,992 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dead thread reactivated by spam posting now removed.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• GreenQueen
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Dead thread reactivated by spam posting now removed.

Suppose in a way they did us a favour :rotfl::rotfl:! I'm certainly finding some useful things in this thread. Like lameWolf, I love crossing off things from my list, just need to realise that making a list doesn't mean that the jobs miraculously do themselves once they've been written down.

GQ
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family