We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Debt management
sumaleej2010
Posts: 2 Newbie
Hi,
I have a mortgage of about £67,000 on a 5 year fixed rate at 5.63% - I have 3 years to go. I have recently bought a car on hire purchace over 5 years at 315 per month. I have been making over payments to my mortgage provider for a few years and have over £5000 in the pot. To reduce the monthly payements and to afford to pay off the car loan I have reduced the monthly morgage paymentrs by extending the term time to 75 years of age (I'm 50) - I have also asked the mortgage company to use some of the pot money to reduce the morgage payments as well - effectively I'm paying the same amount per month as I was with just the mortgage. My question is this - is this the best way to pay off the debt or is there an alternative. Thank you in advance of any suggestions/advice.
Chris
I have a mortgage of about £67,000 on a 5 year fixed rate at 5.63% - I have 3 years to go. I have recently bought a car on hire purchace over 5 years at 315 per month. I have been making over payments to my mortgage provider for a few years and have over £5000 in the pot. To reduce the monthly payements and to afford to pay off the car loan I have reduced the monthly morgage paymentrs by extending the term time to 75 years of age (I'm 50) - I have also asked the mortgage company to use some of the pot money to reduce the morgage payments as well - effectively I'm paying the same amount per month as I was with just the mortgage. My question is this - is this the best way to pay off the debt or is there an alternative. Thank you in advance of any suggestions/advice.
Chris
0
Comments
-
Probably too late, but I think buying a new car at a cost of £19k was a mistake. A cheaper car for cash would have allowed you to focus on your mortgage without diping into the overpayments or extending the term.
However, what's done is done. At such a high fixed rate for your mortgage, you might want to investigate the penalties for breaking this and going elsewhere, keeping your payments high and reduce the term. Do you have a plan for making payments for the next 25 years?0 -
Hi,
I have a cash amount in a bond account that matures in 2 years that will cover the cost of the car and then hopefully go back to normal with the mortgage making the odd over payment to reduce the term time!!0 -
what do you mean you have a 5,000 pot by overpayment?
surely this has already reduced the balance otherwise there would have been no point in doing it.EU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards