We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
transfer of equity 1:2
skyepark
Posts: 419 Forumite
Hi
my father wants to transfer the equity of his property I assume 50% to me as a gift and protect assets. I am in India and he will come over soon, where can we get this done when abroad? Also how will this affect me adn my finances or when I wish to purchase a home in the future?
my father wants to transfer the equity of his property I assume 50% to me as a gift and protect assets. I am in India and he will come over soon, where can we get this done when abroad? Also how will this affect me adn my finances or when I wish to purchase a home in the future?
0
Comments
-
my father wants to transfer the equity of his property I assume 50% to me as a gift and protect assets.
What does that achieve as it neither protects assets or avoids IHT?Also how will this affect me adn my finances or when I wish to purchase a home in the future?
It wont unless there is a mortgage on the property.I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0 -
well he wants to add my name on the property for personal reasons. family matters and such. There is no mortgage on the property.0
-
Ok, it doesnt avoid inheritance tax, it doesnt protect assets from local authority care means test (if that is what you meant by protect assets) and it leaves you with a capital gains tax bill to pay when the property is sold.
So, whilst he may have personal reasons, for doing it, there is unlikely to be any financial benefit. Indeed, quite the opposite with the extra tax that will apply.I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0 -
..... and in addition to the absolutely valid issues listed by Mr Dunstoh will leave the property vulnerable to any debt claims on yourself (and, if you are married, don't have a will - or have one that doesn't specifically allow for such an arrangement - and die before your parents ownership of the property in full or part, depenmding upon the natire of the deeds structure, could transfer outside your blood family as a result). Frankly the list of potential disasters goes on and on.
Please take advice on this from an IFA, estate planner or solicitor before doing anything - this is not the sort of decision to take based on the local barroom experts advice!Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam0 -
i see thank you for your advice. My father isn't the most practical people, basically hes has a 2nd wife who also has her own property and assets which she will leave to her son, i guess my dad wants to show her that she wont be getting his property, I also think he's afraid of being swindled by or something.
I don't have debt nor does my dad, and I think my dad is putting my name on it so that if him and his wife divorce then she won't get half of the property or somethings like that in which case if that doesn't happen and my dad sells he will expect to gain all profits and pay the tax.
I need to weight this up whether its in my best interest to do this.0 -
That's fine - what all parties need is correct professional advice on the appropriate structures (not well meaning barroom theories).
Incidentally, be aware that if you went ahead with this probably ill-advised structure, you would lose any potential SDLT relief for your own house purchase if you were an otherwise first time buyer.Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards