We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

To remortgage or not to remortgage?

I wonder if anyone can help, using plain and simple language (as I am a plain and simple person!).

I currently have a repayment mortgage with Bank of Ireland. My last statement showed that I had £96768 outstanding (incl. a £4595.05 early repayment charge and a £195 mortgage release fee).

My monthly repayment is £775.17 and the maturity date is 25/07/2025.

The interest charged on this mortgage is 6.15% (I took this deal out just prior to the interest rates taking a dive).icon9.gif

I can't find a simple answer to this, but would it be cheaper for me to change my mortgage even with the early repayment charge.

Before I seek any financial advise I just wanted to know if it was worthwhile considering or not.

Thanks.

Comments

  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    What term is left on the mortgage?

    Is this a residential mortgage or BTL?

    Repayment or Interest Only?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • mrs.b_6
    mrs.b_6 Posts: 26 Forumite
    The mortgage is on a residential property and is on a repayment basis, there are 180 months left to pay.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    And when is the current fixed rate due to expire?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • mrs.b_6
    mrs.b_6 Posts: 26 Forumite
    The early repayment charge ceases on 31/05/2013. Thanks for your interest.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    One of the problems of answering here whilst answering phones is that you forget to ask all the questions up front! lol

    Sorry for the list of question - but what is the property value?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • mrs.b_6
    mrs.b_6 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Sorry, I should have posted all this information at the start.

    The property value, as a guestimate is in the range £135000 to £150000. My husband and I are both employed (me part time, he full time). Our combined
    income is about £60,000 per anum. We do not have any savings. We do have manageable debts with no adverse credit, everything is up to date and on time.

    Thanks.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Using this websites calculator here it says the following:

    On a £96768 mortgage, currently at 6.15%, with a £4595 early repayment charge
    You'd need a new mortgage that's consistently below 4.36% to save
    Warning! This is a rough calculation. Always do the full sums (a mortgage broker can help). Plus if the new deal charges an 'arrangement fee', you'll need to find an even cheaper mortgage to make ditching your fixed rate worth it.
    With an arrangement fee of £500, you’d need a new mortgage at 4.2% or lower to save
    With an arrangement fee of £1000, you’d need a new mortgage at 4.03% or lower to save
    With an arrangement fee of £1500, you’d need a new mortgage at 3.87% or lower to save
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.