Pickles diary

Decided to get a handle on our debts. Found the 100 day challenge on here and it doesn't sound too daunting so going to follow that. Got off to a good start over the last few days:

1. Switched to a 0% for 16 months credit card and will transfer balance as soon as it arrives (around £4000).
2. Cancelled some direct debits we don't need.
3. Reduiced one direct debt as we are in credit (only thing we are in credit with!)
4. Managed 2 spend free days (even managed some spend free food - took the little one berry picking in the local park, and picked apples from parents apple tree - made yummy crumble!)
5. Sold some stuff on amazon and ebay.

Feeling rather proud, but today the car needs a service and MOT, have to go and do the shopping (written a list which I will stick to and will go to Aldi) and I have to collect my prescription (had a pre payment certificate but it has run out so will have to pay). Today could be expensive.
Make 2019 in 2019: £1350/2019

Comments

• Well, the car MOT, service (and a new tyre as it turns out) was just as painful as I thought - around £200 if I include the tank of petrol I had to get on the way home. Grrr. That means that this months pay packet has pretty much gone and its the 1st of the month! Just grateful there was nothing seriously wrong with the car.

Its the start of the 100 days challenge today so I'm feeling quite positive. Took the little one to a free family fun day this morning at a local community centre. He had a great time decorating cakes, playing with the toys and running around after a balloon. Mamaged to resist the stalls selling all sorts. Yippee. So, haven't spent anything today. New 0% interest card is in the post so will transfer balance when it arrives and that will help a bit.

xx
  • Managed 2 NSD this month. Good start. Paid 150 off credit card. The check engine light is on my car though so going back to the garage today to complain - it only got its MOT a few days ago. Not paying again!
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,364 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    welcome to diaryland

Hope you get the car sorted at low cost/free
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Hi just started my own diary too !

Hope you resolve the car issue , they really are a drain on your finances aren't they !
    Well done on the nsd with the little one , my 3 are on the last day of school hols and thankfully sun shining so we off to park later!!
    LBM Aug 10 :eek: [STRIKE]15,995.86 [/STRIKE]:eek:12,750.49

Creation [STRIKE]4,336[/STRIKE] 3,753.27 Priority [STRIKE]2,017.89 [/STRIKE] 0 :j Halifax [STRIKE]719[/STRIKE] 576.99
    Barclays [STRIKE]4,077.77 [/STRIKE]3,859.73 Nationwide [STRIKE]2,496.88[/STRIKE] 2,210.5 O/D 2,350
  • Hi Pickle!

Well done with the nice new diary, I am a persistant lurker so love to see a new DF journey begin , MSEers are so inspirational.

Sometimes the engine management light will come on in your car without there being a 'real' fault and it will continue to run ok so don't despair yet - time to worry is if it is a red light. (BTW I work in a call centre for a famous breakdown company) Defo check with garage just in case though.

Will follow your thread with interest - good luck!

xx
    :smileyheaKosmicPink225:smileyhea
  • Thanks to those of you who have been reading.

Garage checked the car over (twice). A sensor has gone so no immediate problem. They didn;t charge for checking it over and said that if we manage to get the part then they will fit it for £30. They said we might manage to get the part cheaper than they can if we shop around and it isn't urgent. Might have to wait until next pay day.

In the meantime, 0% interest credit card arrived. Transfered balances over to it. My own balance isn't much but hubby and I had 4 IVF attempts to have out little boy and that balance is alot more. IVF is expensive! Worth every penny though.

Also went onto music magpie aand seold some of our old DVDs and games and listed some more stuff on ebay.

Didn't manage a no spend day as we needed some shopping but feeling fairly positive.

Take care everyone. xx
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    What a lovely positive new diary :grin:
    Keep posting.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Another NSD today. Yippee. Took little one for a long walk to a local monument and woodlands. Kept him amused. Lots of mushrooms growing but I know nothing about them so decided not to pick any and steer clear. Goos opportunity for anyone who knows which ones are edible though. Did pick some more plums, apples and blackberries and have made a pie tonight to freeze. Lots more fruit still left over though. Will have to look up some recipes (if you know any then feel free to pass them on!). Also sold 4 more items on ebay so a little more money coming in. Yippeeeeeee.

Thanks for reading.
    xx
  • Few ups and downs. Despit e having some NSDs, selling some stuff and shopping around before buying anything we need (not want) I'm still left with no money from my pay. Trying to tell myself that its a short term situation and we are doing everything we can to save money. ON the plus side, we have managed to sell some things on ebay, amazon and other places so have a little money coming our way. Staying positive. Thanks for reading. :-)
  • My cc balance has finally tranferred to my new 0% cc so I've cancelled the nasty high interest one. Positive stuff.

Also, I read a thread on here about the kind of wierd stuff that sells on ebay. Totally inspired me to get off my backside and put lots more of our stuff onto ebay and see what happens. Put them at 99p start so didn't have to pay the listing fee and we now have around 40 things being auctioned. I've put them all in a box so I don't get too confused and they are all in the same place. Still got some stuff to list. Its amazing how much we have sitting around now being used. Got some books to list on amazon as well but the ones on there already arn't doing so well.
    Thanks for reading.xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family