Bare minimum make up & toiletries for a long weekend away?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
20 replies 3.7K views
2»

Replies

• Last year I booked a last minute trip to Turkey to visit my brother who works there. The 20 kg check in was full of pressies for nieces and nephews so all I could pack for a week was my 10 kg hand luggage. I knew I would be out for a night on my birthday, the rest was all sightseeing and swimming. I got it down to...

Tinted moisturiser with spf 15
    waterproof mascara
    tinted lip balm with spf 15
    cheek tint
    2 eyeliners green/blue
    1 eyeshadow duo for the night out
    facial wipes
    travel size conditioner (I conditioner only wash my hair and had heard you can use conditioner also as a shower gel which I did)
    Miracle balm in tiny travel tub
    travel size deodorant
    defuzz mits (to top up epilation job if needed)

I was pleasantly suprised with how easy I got on, how nice it was to travel so light and unfussy, and suprisingly people remarked at the holiday snaps how young I looked (and I don't get that comment very often!)
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• Jacks_xxxJacks_xxx Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    How about taking nothing more than shampoo, conditioner and soap?

Everything else is excess baggage.

:wave: Not to me I'm afraid my lovely ! :D I could do without the conditioner and soap at a push but I need moisturiser, body lotion, lip balm and asthma stuff and I'd feel so weird and uncomfortable out in the evening with no make up on. Without eye base people always ask me if I'm Ok all the time cos I look like I've been crying my eyes out after a run of sleepness nights! I do wish I could go off with my toothbrush in my pocket and little else but a small thoughtfully packed make up bag is one of my essentials I'm afraid.
    Tweezers SURELY are un required for a couple of days if your tweeked before hand...... :)

:wave: You're probably right ;) - but doesn't murphy's law dictate that if I don't take them I'll suddenly need them? :eek: I'm used to doing a daily check when the morning sunlight hits my face. And they are really small. :D
    Last year I booked a last minute trip to Turkey to visit my brother who works there. The 20 kg check in was full of pressies for nieces and nephews so all I could pack for a week was my 10 kg hand luggage. I knew I would be out for a night on my birthday, the rest was all sightseeing and swimming. I got it down to...

Tinted moisturiser with spf 15
    waterproof mascara
    tinted lip balm with spf 15
    cheek tint
    2 eyeliners green/blue
    1 eyeshadow duo for the night out
    facial wipes
    travel size conditioner (I conditioner only wash my hair and had heard you can use conditioner also as a shower gel which I did)
    Miracle balm in tiny travel tub
    travel size deodorant
    defuzz mits (to top up epilation job if needed)

I was pleasantly suprised with how easy I got on, how nice it was to travel so light and unfussy, and suprisingly people remarked at the holiday snaps how young I looked (and I don't get that comment very often!)

:wave: I was considering limiting my eye make up to just a couple of eyeliners and mascara. I would like to feel more free and easy about my grooming routine whilst away - and younger? that would definitely be good! :D

I'm a daily make up wearer anyway so to go without would feel very strange but I am also haunted the memory of a holiday with the girls I took years ago. They teased me mercilessly about all the make up I took with me and said I wouldn't need half of it.

They were right until I got a tummy bug and half the blood vessels in my face burst from projectile vomiting. I looked bruised as if I'd been in an accident! My makeup bag was able to make me look more or less human for the journey home and I was sooooo glad to have it. It saved my family that initial shock of thinking something horrible had happened to me, and saved me from having to explain to people all the way home.

I'm going to look at my list again and see if I can cut any of it (but every time I do that I seem to add something instead! :o:p)
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
    3.9K Posts
    hot.chick wrote: »
    Jacks,

I think your new list is just fine - enough of everything to make sure you don't feel naked on the face, but is a nice compact little set.

Have a lovely weekend away

x

:wave: Thanks honey! I don't feel as if I'm over doing it, but if I don't have some of those things it will impinge on my enjoyment if I feel as if I haven't bothered.
    marrowgirl wrote: »
    Bare minimum i'd take...

-Lush Godiva solid shampoo bar. This is shampoo/conditioner in one. I also use it as a shower soap and it won't leak out everywhere.
    - face wipes to take off make-up.
    - A good moisturising balm like Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream or Liz Earl Superbalm. This can be used as moisturiser/handcream/lipbalm/deep hair moisturiser at night.
    - Mascara (a mini one)
    - something like Nars the Multiple that can be used as eyeshadow/lips/cheeks etc.
    - foundation. I like Lily Lolo mineral powder that I can use dry during the day (also has SPF) and damp for more coverage at night.
    - deoderant
    -Toothbrush/toothpaste (a mini travel type)
    -mini brush

(maybe)-solid perfume (takes up less space, its lighter and less likely to break/leak)

I would have my eyebrows threaded before I go then no need for tweezers, legs waxed or epilated (no razor).

However in reality I end up taking most of Boots!

:wave: Thank you my lovely - that's a great list. I'm *trying* not to take most of Boots but the "just in case" urge is strong! :o

I do get my eyebrows threaded quite often. (It's much better than the waxing I think shapewise) but I always have to tidy up a few times a week with my tweezers. I epilate my legs too, but shave my underarms because I'm too scared to epilate those! :eek:

However, I have discovered that if I've just got my brows tinted then I don't need a brow product, but unfortunately even when I've tinted my lashes I still want to wear mascara. :(

I'm going with naked finger nails though, :D so I don't have to take polish and remover. I probably should take a nail file though in case I break one...! *mentally add that to the list* :D
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
  • OdetteOdette Forumite
    716 Posts
    Well, you lot have shown me right up! I went away this weekend and bought with me :

Deo
    Perfume
    Tinted Moisturiser
    Mascara
    Brown Pencil (used as eyeliner and brow)
    Blush Stick
    Highlighter Liquid.
    Lightening/Concealing Pencil

I'm going on holiday this week and I probably wont take much more..I think the key is defiantly dual purpose stuff.
    Aim - BUYING A HOUSE :eek: by November 2013!
    Saved = 100% on 03/07/12 :j
    3.9K Posts
    Odette wrote: »
    Well, you lot have shown me right up! I went away this weekend and bought with me :

Deo
    Perfume
    Tinted Moisturiser
    Mascara
    Brown Pencil (used as eyeliner and brow)
    Blush Stick
    Highlighter Liquid.
    Lightening/Concealing Pencil

I'm going on holiday this week and I probably wont take much more..I think the key is defiantly dual purpose stuff.

:wave: I think that's a very good and self disciplined list! I would be very proud of such a lovely short little list. :D

I could get away with eyeliner and no eye shadow but because the eyeshadow palette I was planning to take contains lip colours and Blusher as well I'd end up taking more stuff probably.

At least my hubby doesn't moan at me. He says he feels sorry for me when I'm styling my hair and putting on make up while he's sat around with the paper and a coffee. Bless him. :)
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bare minimum for me would be:

Bio oil
    Eye cream
    Translucent powder + brush
    Bronzer + brush (foundation if I didn't have a tan :D)
    Blusher + brush
    Mascara
    Eyeliner
    Lipstick
    Lipgloss

Face wash
    Full size shower gel (hate travel size, scared of running out!)
    Deodorant
    Body creme
    Shampoo/conditioner (probabpy full size unless I can be bothered to decant)
    Hairdryer
    Tweezers (a stray hair can ruin a weekend, it's so disracting)
    nail scissors & nail file (You can bet your bottom dollar if you don't have them you will break a nail
    Nail polish remover & cotton wool (only if I've painted my nails before I go)
    Cotton buds

Think that's all.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    3.9K Posts
    Bare minimum for me would be:

Bio oil
    Eye cream
    Translucent powder + brush
    Bronzer + brush (foundation if I didn't have a tan :D)
    Blusher + brush
    Mascara
    Eyeliner
    Lipstick
    Lipgloss

Face wash
    Full size shower gel (hate travel size, scared of running out!)
    Deodorant
    Body creme
    Shampoo/conditioner (probabpy full size unless I can be bothered to decant)
    Hairdryer
    Tweezers (a stray hair can ruin a weekend, it's so disracting)
    nail scissors & nail file (You can bet your bottom dollar if you don't have them you will break a nail

Nail polish remover & cotton wool (only if I've painted my nails before I go)
    Cotton buds

Think that's all.

That's exactly how I feel about the bit in red! :D I can't believe I forgot cotton buds - I use them daily for tidying up and stuff.

I'm shifty about really small shower gels as well :eek: - although I do think they look cute in Superdrug. :D I'm planning on taking a 50ml which I think should easily last for three days even if Hubby is notoriously lavish with it and if we are using it as shampoo as well.

*adds cotton buds to the list* :D
  • jenniewbjenniewb Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well....

I go to the gym alot and bring a toiletry bag with me. I don;t actually use the bath I have at home (prefer showers) so my gym bag actually needs to contain EVERYTHING I need and also be light enough to carry round all day.

First I would say if you can, get hold of some sample sized things. Bodyshop, Boots, Superdrug all have stuff- if your loaded, Aveda also do. Samples from magazines, samples from stores, freebie gift with purchase...all great. Even better when you can chuck the containers into the recycle bins rather then haul them all back home with you.

So here's my list:
    • Shampoo
    • Conditioner
    • Leave in/heat protectant (unless you don't use heat on your hair)
    • Shower gel/scrub, (can be used for hands and feet also.)
    • Body Moisturiser.
    • Facial wash (don't use your body wash if you have sensitive skin)
    • Facial moisturiser (same goes)
    • If you use one (I do) an Eye cream. Makes all the difference.
    • Deoderant.
    • A Hairclip. (roll ons take up less space but you can get travel sized aerosols)
    50mls per product is enough for about 4-5 uses I think (depends on product) but 100mls on body moisturiser and 25mls on facial stuff.

Thats it, thats all I take. All fits into a small cosmetics bag.

In my bag at all times are the following:
    • Mascara
    • Mirror with either foundation or blusher
    • Eyeliner
    • Concealer
    • Nail varnish the same colour I am wearing- for chips
    • Mini hairbrush
    • Lip balm/Vaseline with aloe vera.
    If your going on holiday don't forget a full sized bottle of SPF30 and hydration sachets (Boots sell them) or some salt (mix fruit juice 50/50 with water and add pinch of salt to make your own hydration drink). If you spend too long in the sun or sweat too much they are useful to drink. An aftersun instead of body moisturiser may also be an idea!

If you need pain killers and etc, I'd just cut out what you feel you may need- like 4 paracetamol and 4 ibuprofen but most of the time your OK just keeping hydrated and taking breaks from any computerised screens every few hours and walking well. Same goes with tampns/towels.

Toothpaste and brush: full sized brush and travel sized toothpaste you can get these from Superdrug.

Some nice additions- of you find you have room are:
    • Perfume- though put into a atonomiser.
    • Muslin cloths (bring 2).
    • Hairspray with hold of sea salt spray mix for nights out/days out
    • Hair masque (decantered into a small pot)
  • Mrs_RyanMrs_Ryan Forumite
    11.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i've just come back from three days away (and bear in mind two of those were spent at rugby matches so looking spectacular was eschewed in favour of being warm :rotfl:) and this is what I took:

Body wash
    Shampoo and conditioner
    Toothbrush and paste
    Soap (for my face)
    Baby wipes
    Deodorant, body spray and perfume
    Curl cream for my hair.

Dont really use much makeup - just my light reflecting foundation, eyeshadow, mascara and lip gloss.
    * Proud to be Cousin Ro’s Fan Club*
    #TeamRoman
    Dad- 20.02.2020. I used to be his Angel, now he is mine.
    Year 4 BSc Honours Combined STEM- E117, DE100 Pass, E235 Distinction, U214 Pass 2, E313 Pass 3, E312 to go!
  • Awsome list jenniewb! :T I can tell you're the type of organised person I aspire to be. :o:)

I've added a hair clip to my list to keep my hair dry in the shower so that I can skip washing it some days and for when I'm applying make up.

Reading your list I've just realised that my on the go always in my shoulder bag make up kit is more make up than I am planning to take away with me! :eek:

Thanks Mrs_Ryan that's a lovely succinct list. I would just need to add a little more make up and skincare, ;) plus some "just in case " things.

I never think that I use very much make up myself in one go - but I do like to keep my options open! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals