Winter-proofing our homes

Ive just got new double glazing-
and a gas 'superser' for an occasionally used room -
what have you done to bring down your winter costs??

Any suggestions?

Comments

• dmxdave
    dmxdave Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    No suggestions for winter proofing but I would make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector if using a "superser" in your home especially if you have had double glazing fitted.
    Dave
  • Artofdookie
    Artofdookie Posts: 4,611 Forumite
    I bought a couple of paper log makers and have been getting all the friends old newspapers, cardboard etc and making logs. Must have about 550 dried out in the greenhouse
    41XTQB0l5dL.jpg
    Well I Love Tv And I Love T. Rex, I Can See Through Your Skirt I've Got X-Ray Spex
  • I bought a couple of paper log makers and have been getting all the friends old newspapers, cardboard etc and making logs. Must have about 550 dried out in the greenhouse
    41XTQB0l5dL.jpg

THATS BRILLIANT - Ive bought some Homebase 'firelogs' at £1.69 - thought that was a lazy bargain.....

is it easy to use the logmakers?
    where did you get them?
  • dmxdave wrote: »
    No suggestions for winter proofing but I would make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector if using a "superser" in your home especially if you have had double glazing fitted.

Yes, have a carbon monoxide detector. That Castlerock tragedy made me think.
  • Artofdookie
    Artofdookie Posts: 4,611 Forumite
    THATS BRILLIANT - Ive bought some Homebase 'firelogs' at £1.69 - thought that was a lazy bargain.....

is it easy to use the logmakers?
    where did you get them?
    Amazon, think they they were £13 each
    Well I Love Tv And I Love T. Rex, I Can See Through Your Skirt I've Got X-Ray Spex
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    There is a *huge* thread on the Old-Style board on preparing for winter, at http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=531601 It's up to about 4900 posts now, but it's a "chatty" thread, so it's skim-able (might still take a while though!)
  • If you haven't already got it, cavity wall insulation is a must, especially if you're using a superser. If the walls are cold, you'll get terrible condensation!

I've upped my existing roofspace insulation to current requirements, opened up one fireplace (and made logs as above for it - the supplier is from Dingannon) and put in a wood=burner in the other. I'm now stocking up on wood - dry wood was in very short supply at the end of last winter.

If lots of berries are the predictor for a hard winter (as my granny used to say) we're in for it again - have you seen the Mountain Ash recently?
  • Belfastbelle
    Belfastbelle Posts: 367 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 April 2012 at 9:55PM
    Hows it going for everyone? Any new ideas?
  • I use dishwasher salt to de-ice my front path Belfastbelle as it's cleaner than rocksalt if it does get walked into the house.

Yesterday I sawed old timber I had lying around from different projects into 6 inch lengths and then chopped it into sticks for firelighting this winter.
  • sleepymy
    sleepymy Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    I bought a couple of paper log makers and have been getting all the friends old newspapers, cardboard etc and making logs. Must have about 550 dried out in the greenhouse
    41XTQB0l5dL.jpg

Is there much effort involved in doing these? My dad is convalescing (but mobile) over the winter and one of these might just keep him out of trouble (and my mum's hair!).
    The stupid things you do, you regret... if you have any sense, and if you don't regret them, maybe you're stupid. - Katharine Hepburn
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure