recommended sofa retailers please

cadmus
cadmus Posts: 260 Forumite
edited 29 August 2010 at 12:14PM in Shop but don't drop
hi, looking for a new fabric suite. i can only think of dfs , scs etc . can you recommend any other major shops we can visit and browse . live in the portsmouth /hampshire area.

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you are looking for excellent quality that's built to last & always have the ability to purchase tailor-made covers in the future then give Multiyork a try. Their furniture is supremely comfortable & they keep you sofa/suite measurements on file indefinitely, should you decide to go for new covers at any time to change the look.

www.multiyork.co.uk to find your nearest store.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • LaDiva_2
    LaDiva_2 Posts: 247 Forumite
    Do you have an argos nearby? I know they sell literally everything but we've ordered furniture from them before and it was good quality.

Same can be said for additions direct-but you cannot browse apart from online :rotfl:
    DD1 born November 2010. DD2 born June 2013
  • Tesco direct have a load but my DFS sofa is 5 yrs old an still gets the wow factor when people see it for first time. 0% deals, its all good.
    Marry a Foreigner, its so much cheaper!
  • i've had my sofas for just 2yrs and paid £1500 each for them in the sale, think they were almost 2k each, believe it or not i'm at this present time typing this with the dfs engineer trying to sort out the arms on my sofas as they have both collapsed on both sofas, to my horror after taking a sneeky peak inside the arms i was amazed it's cardboard!!! :eek:(the bit u rest your elbow on) and watching him cut with scissors. i'm absolutely gob smacked and know that i will have to have them out yet again to sort this problem. for the money i paid you'd not only expect it to last but to be made to pretty high standard. my last leather sofa suite was from the late land of leather and i paid just £499 for the suite and it's miles better quality than this one and it saw 3 of my 5 children grow up. please don't be taken in by the pay nothing for first yr and 5 yrs interest free credit jargon as it's just not worth it. i truely think if they didn't offer that then people wouldnt buy from them.
    Please check out the other peoples reviews and problems re DFS.
    I have found from people i know, that if you bought your sofa from dfs around 8-10 yrs ago then you'd have a very well made sofa that is built to last however it seams to me that they have just got gready and are fobbing people off with inferior pruducts that look fab in stores.
    Please dont buy from dfs
    unfortunately for me i didn't bother to check them out before i signed on the dotted line but i will never, as long as i have a hole in my posterior buy anything from DFS ever again!!!!!:(
  • i hade two ikea sofas in between my last leather sofa and this DFS crap excuse for a sofa and they really are brilliant. i had the Ekeskog sofa which they have just stopped making. they were huge could seat 4 plus adults and always looked brand new, i bought those 2nd hand and sold them on for the same price i paid for them and they still looked like new and you can change the cover to suite your decor as most have removable ones. i'l definitly be going ikea again the next time i need a new sofa and at this rate it'll be sooner than i'd anticipated.
    i couldn't praise ikea enought. they are very very well made sofas and last years.
    Ok i think i've ranted about the shoddy dfs sofas enough............. or have I???
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Tesco direct have a load but my DFS sofa is 5 yrs old an still gets the wow factor when people see it for first time. 0% deals, its all good.

I would avoid Tesco Direct sofas. I had to return mine, and the courier collected it he commented that he picked up nearly as many as he delivered. :o

OP, I have the Ikea Stockholm sofa - not the cheapest but an excellent quality.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • aloise
    aloise Posts: 608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    cadmus wrote: »
    hi, looking for a new fabric suite. i can only think of dfs , scs etc . can you recommend any other major shops we can visit and browse . live in the portsmouth /hampshire area.
    I have had three from DFS and always been satisfied with them. My daughters have also bought from there, no complaints.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure