I had a bailiff round today

Options
I'm just having one of those days today! And to be honest I am feeling really sick of it all.

About 7pm this evening the doorbell rang and it was a bailiff come to collect £156 left over from a store card debt, which to be honest I thought I had paid, but on checking hadn't. Anyway, it seems I received a CCJ, but I have never seen the court document. I remember having a letter saying the papers were going into court, so I called them that day and offered £300 which was all I could scrape together (the other £120 was charges), they refused to do a full and final but said they would hold proceedings until I could pay the other £120. I fully intended to pay the rest and claim back the charges to save a CCJ for such a small amount of cash, but somewhere in the house move etc I must have forgotten. So, as you can imagine I was a little surprised to see the Bailiff turn up. I still pick up post daily from the old house because it isn't sold yet, so I can't have missed the actual CCJ??

He was a nice chap as bailiffs go, told me his life story, about his other job, rattled on for a good half an hour (me in my bath robe, just got out of the bath). So, anyway, I gave him my debit card details and paid it off thanks to my quidco money over the past couple of months which was sitting there until I could find who to give it to.

But, I guess now I can expect daily knocks at the door from people wanting money. I am doing everything I can to sell the house to pay it all off once and for all, I am working every hour god sends (120 hours most weeks these days) but I feel it isn't enough and they won't see it as enough.

I guess I have a case of the debt blues today and am feeling a bit sorry for myself. I wouldn't mind so much if I had got into debt living the high life, but I haven't. I haven't had a holiday in 6 years, not even a week away in this country never mind abroad. I am now back renting again, having to sell the house to pay off the debt and get rid of a crippling mortgage. I feel a bit of a faliure, 36 years old and I'm broke. OHs parents are paying the rent here, we had to move out in order to get the house on the market, there is no way I could show it with 3 kids and a business in situ... flight cases in every corner and all of that.

I do have a good business but we are still in the early years and we are both killing ourselves working to progress the business. It does turn a profit but we have no choice but to reinvest that to buy more gear, so we can remain competitive. If we don't we will price ourselves out of the market, which is tough, we are up against the big boys who have been around for 20+ years, but we do hold our own in the market. We don't have any business finance though, everything we own, we own, all paid for by sheer hard graft.

I don't even know what I am moaning about now. I guess in truth I was hopeful I could leave my creditors at my old house while I still own it, just to have a safe little bit of distance to avoid the knocks at the door. I still reply to all mail I get from them, telling them I am selling the house and asking for a few weeks breathing space until I can pay them, but they seem to think that they will be able to force money out of me NOW, and they can't becuase apart from my little bit of quidco cash I have nothing which hasn't been budgeted for.

ok moan over, I'm sure things will seem better in the morning.
:A
:A
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I hope things do seem better in the morning sugar. Been wondering how you are going, as I hadnt seen much of you online, I assumed work must be mental.

Im really sorry about the CCJ, lifes a b*t*h when your doing all you can do and still crap happens :(

Love & hugs xxx
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • FatJock
    FatJock Posts: 196 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Toto,

Keep you chin up (easier said than done I know). Try not to get too down about this. On the up side at least the debt is settled. Can you apply to have the CCJ 'removed' now that the bill is settled? I know the CCJ stays on your record for several years but will it show that any outstanding action relating to it is settled?

Good luck, dont let the sods grind you downn.

Cheers,
    FatJock
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    I think you are doing well. You had the money nto pay, if someone turned up at my door we would have nothing to give them.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    At least you can still afford a bathrobe :D
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Toto wrote:
    I feel a bit of a faliure, 36 years old and I'm broke.

How are you a failure? You have your own business, a good strong business which is cash flow positive. Yes, you don't have much money at the moment, but you've got some, and you will have more when your house sale goes through.

The future is so bright, you've gotta wear shades... :cool:

You could be worse, you could be walking through a sink hole of a council estate pushing one of your daughter's push-chairs (you're old enough) and getting whistled at by guys on the CSA's "Most Wanted" list, knowing that the grandchild you're pushing doesn't have a hope in hell of escape.

Look around you. It is better than that. Isn't it.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    FatJock wrote:
    Toto, Can you apply to have the CCJ 'removed' now that the bill is settled? I know the CCJ stays on your record for several years but will it show that any outstanding action relating to it is settled?
    FatJock

You can certainly apply to the court for a 'certificate of satisfaction' for which there is a fee (I think £10). This will not get the CCJ removed from your credit file (this will happen automatically after 6 years) but the entry will be marked as satisfied.
    Did you get a receipt?
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Mrs_Sparkle
    Options
    You're not a failure so stop beating yourself up. Well done for dealing with the situation so efficiently and good luck with the business.
    Debt at highest May 2006: £27,472.24
    currently: £13,353.25
    DFW Nerd 178
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Pobby
    Pobby Posts: 5,438 Forumite
    Options
    Not a failure at all from one who has businesses.Toto,you know I am in the same industry and it is so competitive.You have done freat to get this far.I guess a lot of ventures such as yours fall over at the starting gate.A young business and a huge mortgage is not easy to do.I think you have made the right decision to sell up and rent.With your determination,which clearly you have,your business will flourish.
  • kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear you've been feeling down toto, I hope things seem better this morning.

You are absolutely not a failure! You are working to improve your situation, you have a strong business (even though its young) and you're working damn hard to make it better and better.

The best thing is thanks to your efforts with quidco you had the money to settle this debt and it doesn't hang over you any more :T Ok, so that pot of money is gone now, but its gone on paying your debt and lessening your stress.

Keep up the hard work and don't forget to keep us updated!

Kath :D
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • going2die_rich
    Options
    Be wary of how long balifs spend waiting for you to do certain phone calls etc as they normally charge additional time while they wait around for you to make a phone payment or ringing up people to find the money. So it maybe higher by the time you actually go to hand over the cash.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure