freebies from your local paper

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in I won! I won! I won!
13 replies 2.3K views
hids_2hids_2 Forumite
28 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in I won! I won! I won!
try your local paper competition page, my secret is to post as near to the competition ending as possible ....these are some of my wins off the top of my head
3 x 50 pound netto vouchers
tickets to see Beyonce M.E.N arena
50 pound m&s vouchers
family ticket to blackpool tower and circus
family ticket to Eureka museum
family ticket to Alton towers
Free meal at Brewers Fayre ( cost 60 quid)
Girls night in cd
6 tickets to manchester imax (each ticket admits 2)
popcorn machine
various books
Richard Pryor dvd
tickets to martin mere nature reserve in blackpool
2x t shirts
herb garden and lo salt
tickets to theatre
2 x remote control minis
2 packs of blank cd's

I use the free stationery i get from avery etc and post it through the door as i don't live too far (saves on stamps) think they've cottoned on though as i'm not winning as often but i use my mums address as well hence the duplicate wins....worth a go though........this weeks competition is 200 quid party pack including beer so fingers crossed.
They call me Mr Pig!

Replies

• hids wrote:
    I use the free stationery i get from avery etc and post it through the door as i don't live too far (saves on stamps) think they've cottoned on though as i'm not winning as often but i use my mums address as well hence the duplicate wins....worth a go though........this weeks competition is 200 quid party pack including beer so fingers crossed.

Ah but, do you have holes in your shoes.? 1a_y_tongue1.gif
  • no holes in shoes.....but seem to be going through tyres on the car quicker than usual
    They call me Mr Pig!
  • tifftiff Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, just wondered why its an advantage to post your entry near the competition end?
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • it seems that when i posted near to closing date i seemed to win, i can only presume that it ended up top of the pile!!
    They call me Mr Pig!
  • JummyJummy Forumite
    692 Posts
    I've won a few comps that were in my local paper.
    I managed to get family tickets to Legoland and Gullivers.
    :)
  • poorcatpoorcat Forumite
    135 Posts
    I can promise you that at the paper I work for we don't just pick the one nearest the top of the pile! But there are ways that you can up your chances.
    Colourful envelopes stand out (it's nice to see a bit of effort) - any envelope at all is better than nothing because they're easier to grab hold of than the entry forms
    Some compers cram all the entries for the different competitions into the same envelope. If you do this, back each one with cardboard - again, easier to grab hold of, less likely to fall to the bottom of the box.
    You would be shocked at the low number of entries for some of the competitions - people don't bother entering because they don't think they'll win. I find this particuarly with the comps I run on the youth page - teens are not big compers.
    And no, I can't enter them myself - and any unclaimed prizes go to charity. I don't mind, I got the new New Order album in the post the other week, a month ahead of release! I love my job.
  • hids_2hids_2 Forumite
    28 Posts
    yes i tend to use brighter envelopes or large envelopes, maybe that's why i havent been winning recently because ive been using up all my white envelopes, better get to tescos and stock up!!!
    They call me Mr Pig!
  • katyk_2katyk_2 Forumite
    507 Posts
    Not a local paper but a local shopping mall was where I won. Stand promoting kids fitness with a basketball hoop and football goals to let them while away 10 minutes between shopping for gymshoes and pencilcases. Just had to fill in n&a and put it in their mailbox there. Actually won a 4 day family holiday at a PGL campsite with £500 spending money to be taken by end of 2005 - over the moon till I realised PGL operate purely for groups of schoolkids during term time and the only week we could actually go was the one commencing 24/10. Unfortunately we are in Aberdeen and Scottish schools go back that week - our hols are the 2 weeks before that. Even the one PGL site in Scotland on offer goes only by English school holidays. Devastated - until I complained about it on grounds that it was logical that someone from the NE of Scotland would win, and that he/she would have school kids so rediculous to offer holiday we couldn't actually take. Mall have now sorted me out with an alternative - 4 nights at a Centre Parcs site instead. We're off on the 17th. Whoopee. Well worth moaning if you feel you're in the right.
  • If it says post card enty is it ok to put on a sealed envelope, I have done this before but not sure if it counts.

Thanks
  • I can only encourage everyone to enter as someone has to win. I have just won £200 to spend in a new Evans store which has recently opened! Fantastic prize and a complete surprise to me when the letter arrived. I have often been lucky and won a Classic FM holiday to USA, trip on orient Express and cash prizes in a 200 club lottery. None of these needed any skill -just the fact of being in the draw! Good luck to you all! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides