Strange Email

Options
I know this is probably not the right board but I just wondered what you think. I got this email today from the Bank of Scotland and basically it just said thank you for your query. We will be dealing with it shortly or words to that effect. While I have a Bank of Scotland credit card I certainly have not raised any query with them and I was wondering if this was a scam email to tempt me to reply and reveal banking details. Just wondered if any of you have experienced anything like this. i didnt reply to it.
The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

Comments

• Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    I have received similar emails. They are often just a random attempt to con you as you said. If they get your bank right it is just a lucky guess.
    J_B.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I cant remember where I saw this now, but there is a PHISHING hotline I thnk at the inland revenue/ home office. The idea is you forward it on and they try and track the sender.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • saubryn
    Options
    I would either ignore the email, or manually visit your banks web site (as in type the address in yourself instead of clicking links in the email) and look for an email address on there to forward the email to - they probably won't be able to do much, but if they get a lot of people saying they've had phising attempts then they might send out letters alerting other customers to the danger.
    DFW Nerd No. 140 :)
    Status as of 30/11/12
    [strike]Rent 2500 Council Tax 800 NlPower - 800[/strike][SIZE=-2]:j IF - 8000 :(British Gas - [strike]112[/strike] - 102 Lloyds - 1123
    Barclays - 306 Barclaycard 1,123 HSBC - 200 Capital 1- 400 Barclayloan - 4500[/SIZE]
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Options
    In the email I got it had a link that took me to a near exact copy of the banks login page. There were subtle differences. I reported the link to the bank via phone. It was a sophisticated phishing attempt. I then ran two anti-spyware programs which found nothing.
    J_B.
  • Dr.Shoe_2
    Dr.Shoe_2 Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    Options
    I got one from "lloyds" (sic- note the small "L"). Asking me to input my existing bank details so they could see if I was entitled to a £20,000 loan at 4% interest!

They must think I was born on the moon or something!
    [strike]-£20,000[/strike] 0!
  • piglet6
    piglet6 Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Definitely report it to RBS, and forward it to them for them to deal with/look into. If it is legitimate they obviously need to work on it (so that it doesn't come across as suspicious...) but most likely they'll be pleased you brought it to their attention (after all, how can they fight against this "phishing" if they don't see what's arriving in the inboxes of their customers...?!)

Well done on picking it up as bogus, by the way - proves what a money-savvy person you are!:T (I like to hope that I would pick up on these if I received them, but am not sure that I would have done 12 months ago...:confused: Hanging out on this board has certainly improved my knowledge of this type of thing, and I guess its probably the same for you, too!).

Piglet
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport