Going Out ideas that are Cheap & Cheerful and hopefully free

Options
During the few months I have learn't alot from reading threads at DFW. I have worked out a budget and agreed repayments terms for all my debts. This leaves me with £25 a month emergency money that is not already allocated.

I often have to say "sorry cannot afford to come" when I am invited out - and are trying to find things to do that are cheap or free so that I can still have good times :j

Things that have been good so far:

Kite Flying - invite friends and take a picnic
Walking with the dog - invite friends and take a picnic
Blackberry picking
cheap night at the cinema
Movie night with friends at home - everyone brings something for food ie Pizza and popcorn.

any other ideas.....

Comments

• TNG
    TNG Posts: 6,930 Forumite
    Options
    If you're in a major city - check out when TV shows are being filmed and see if you can get tickets as an audience member - always free
    :dance:There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood :dance:
  • Sherbetlover
    Options
    Our local Mecca bingo does a couple of free nights each week. You get free books and it's a good laugh. A couple of times we have come home ten quid better off!
  • lazy&indebt
    Options
    dogging.

Failing that, erm....bike ride?! :D
    Was debt free... then went travelling!
  • looneyleo
    Options
    Have you tried your local volunteer centre? May be some volunteering you can do that could be fun and provides help to others. Sometimes you can do "one off" volunteering that doesn't involve too much commitment. Otherwise try your local library or local authority website to see What's On locally for free...you'll be amazed... How about looking at your local FE college to see if they have any low cost/free courses you can do...again lots of things on offer for fun and can be short in duration too. Might be an opportunity to try something new and meet new friends.
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can you get a megabus or cheap bus fare to another town just for a walk round/change of scenery for a day?

I used to do this a lot (but via car). Just pick a town I haven't been to and go there to walk round/find a coffee shop.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Bambywamby
    Bambywamby Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Board game nights with a few bottles of vino - many times I have laughed so much I have creid and even !!!!!! my pants once. :rolleyes:

Have a bonfire night party - no fireworks (cost too much) just a crackling bonfire with cheap, wholesome food like homemade coleslaw, baked spuds, proper sausages in hotdog bread and lots of ketchup, garlic bread and sticky, toffee parkin.

Go watch a local footy game or rugby game on a weekend - its usually free to watch the amateurs -

Go swimming.

Have a house party.

Have a pub quiz around at your house - add booze, a dart board and bags of sweeties/pork scratchings as prizes.

Get a horror movie on, draw the curtains, get somee microwaveable popcorn and spend a night cuddled up on the sofa hiding behind a cushion.

Bams x.x
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • laurajayne
    Options
    Erm...I like the voluntary work idea...how about helping out with local Brownie/Guides/Scouts/Cadets? They're always good for a giggle :D

Me and my mum both go to a cross stitch club...and as I don't stitch very fast a £4.75 kit has lasted me ooooooh.....8 months now lol.

There's plently of crafty type clubs you can join, and it's normally a minimal 'sub' - or start your own with friends...by some card, and felt tips and make xmas cards ;)
    :cool: Proud DFW Nerd 135 :cool:
    Sealed Pot Challenge - 019
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Bring and share dinner parties. Each person brings a dish, and you all share! There's always loads of food and it's fun and sociable, and doesn;t cost much for each person.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • Storm
    Storm Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Check out your local tourist attractions - loads are actually free. When my nephews came to visit last Easter we discovered that the city museum (free anyway) had a dinosaur exhibition - an hour or so of pure delight for them! Even some National Trust/English Heritage places are free! :j

Personally I love hiking, and http://www.walking-routes.co.uk/ has links to loads of sites around the country that tell you various routes.

What I used to do as a student too, was sort out with a small group of friends that we had a set evening each week when we would take it in turns to go round each others flats. Food was usually pasta or something else cheap (provided by the host) and then we'd veg out in front of the TV (normally with the American sitcoms, but you can find a programme that you all like maybe!)

I've also been going to salsa dance lessons locally (which cost £5 a week so they may have to go!) but after the actual lessons the place opens into a club - so lots of people just go down for that (and spend about £1 on a soft drink!) :dance:
    Total Debt 13th Sept 2006 (exc student loan): £6240.06 :eek:
    O/D 1 [strike]£1250 [/strike]O/D 2 [strike]£100[/strike] Next a/c [strike]£313.55[/strike]@ 26.49% Mum [strike]£130[/strike] HSBC [strike]£4446.51[/strike]@15.75%[STRIKE]M&S £580.15@ 4.9%[/STRIKE]
    Total Debt 30th April 2008: £0 100% paid off!

PROUD TO [STRIKE]BE DEALING [/STRIKE] HAVE DEALT WITH MY DEBT ;)
  • Numpty_2
    Options
    dogging.

Failing that, erm....bike ride?! :D
    ROTFL - I actually spend some time at weekends with friends mountain biking - three hours in a forest/wood somewhere, then back to one or t'others for dinner - alternate the dinners so it doesnt really cost you anything, great exercise and (assuming you have a bike) free.

There is always the classic one that's free, but I dont recommend inviting your friends over! Wink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure