Dame Washalot Starts Scrubbing Her Debts

Options
Dame_Washalot
Dame_Washalot Posts: 55 Forumite
edited 15 August 2010 at 11:32PM in Debt free diaries
I've been a long time lurker and finally joined in June this year. I've just got back from holiday a few days ago and apart from a few days I have booked in Barnsley in October I have no major spends in the pipeline.
Having said that, there are only 4 paydays until Christmas:eek: and I have 3 children under 8 who think money grows on trees.
My debts are horrendous and are just going up and up and up.
I have made a few inroads...I took a shopping list when I did my grocery shopping yesterday and I only spent £55 instead of the usual £120 plus, I also avoided deal and offers unless it was for something on my list e.g Heinz Ravioli and macaroni cheese in tins (the kids love theses and spurn home made in favour of the tinned cr4p) was 2 for £1.50 instead of the usual 97p each so I bought 3 tins of each instead of 2. I decided not to go for the special offers on dishwasher tabs, washing powder etc or washing up liquid because a) I have enough previously bought on special offer to last me until Christmas and b) they are always on special offer somewhere.
I am lucky in the there is an M and S and Tesco near work. I did until recently go into M and S after work and spend £20 - 30 a day on yellow stickered stuff and special offers but I have stopped that recently - my freezer became too full and we have just aout finished working through it. The Tesco is a godsend though as I can pick up just what I need on a daily basis.
I usually phone OH at lunchtime and we agree what we will have for dinner and then I pick up what we need. It's usually just milk or rice etc but it saves going shopping at the end of the day when I am usually hungry. I can also avoid stickered stuff as well by going at luncthime.
I have recently got into taking sandwiches to work and only had to buy them one day last week when we woke up to no bread.
I am looking forward to getting my teeth into a few challenges over the next week, I understand a 100 day challenge is due to start and I would like to get my outstanding debt below £300K by Christmas, I also want to join the weekly spend challenge, I thought I would aim for half of what I spent last week (which has to include ad hoc groceries) so it will be £35. This did include a family trip to the cinema to see Toy Story 3 - yes, I cried at the end!
I have noticed that Disney are making their films a bit more adult in these days, they are certainly more appealing to parents than the films we had as kids. This year I have also seen The Princess and the Frog and enjoyed that as much as, if not more than the children did.
I have done a SOA and am aware of my shortcomings so I won't bother posting it up - my main expenses seem to be the grocery shopping and clothing, treats for kids.
I now deal with pester power by simply stating "we can't afford it" - not sure if I should be doing that or if it is going to cause them long term emotional harm - everything we parents do these days seem to have an adverse impact upon their wellbeing so no doubt it will.
I have snowballed my debts and I will be debt free in 229 months - that will be some time in my 65th year so no early retirement for me - if retirement still exists in 20 years time!
Debt at 15/8/ 2010 £304,984 (includes £267K mortgage )
Trying to get below £300K by Christmas
One debt in 100 days - pay £3985 by 10/12 Weekly spend challenge £29.84/£35.00

Comments

• jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hey Dame Washalot (love the name!) Good luck with the debtbusting! It will be great motivation for you to see the DFD fall as you get into it, and those little extras will soon add up!

I'm also a big fan of Disney films!

With the children, could you not tell them you can't afford it, but then encourage them to save up for it? Do they get pocket money? You would be teaching them well if you can get them to save up for things rather than wanting everything now.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • girlracer
    girlracer Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, thought id drop in and say all the bestwith clearing the debts
    Toy story three is pretty good actually!! kids love it

Anyway i will subscribe if thats ok, and check in to see how your going, cant really offer much advice, but moral support i can do

all the best
    Weight loss 3stone 4lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family