PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How OS?!

Options
Well, I have to admit this site, and this board in particular, is addictive, but I didn't realise how much it was affecting me until this morning.

I had to clean the kitchen floor (kids, mud, guests on the way - you get the idea). Now usually it's a spray mop job, but today for some reason I had the urge to do it 'properly' - so for the first time in my life I got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed the kitchen floor.

OK - may not sound much - but OS it is - and strangely very satisfying, lol.

:D
DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts

Comments

• piglet6
    piglet6 Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have no idea how happy I am to read your post...:p

Last week, I cleaned my kitchen floor (on my hands and knees!;)) with Stardrops and a microfibre cloth!!!:j

If you had asked me last year (as I swished my overly expensive Vileda supermop around ineffectively with a bucket of special "Flash for floors") whether that would be my scene, I would have laughed you out of the room. But I not only enjoyed it
    (:confused:?!), I kept popping my head back round the door all afternoon to "admire" my handiwork!:rotfl:

I've never been that houseproud before (major tidy ups when expecting visitors, or just can't stand it any longer...:o) but this board is inspiring - and its so much nicer to live in my house these days, too!!!:T

Thanks everyone!:D

Piglet
  • earthmother
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one then :)

It must have looked good - not that I got the chance to admire it before it was covered in jelly and cake - but my mum commented on it, and I think, in the nicest possible way, that she has often wondered how she could produce someone so averse to housework :D

Like you, things like that only really used to get done when people were due or it looked really bad - not that I keep a dirty house - just not one that glints when the sun shines, lol :p
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    :T :T :T :T :T :T

These are absolutely WONDERFUL posts to read!

Keep up the good work and do post your achievements in the daily thread to inspire others.

Well done! :T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • piglet6
    piglet6 Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    - not that I keep a dirty house - just not one that glints when the sun shines, lol :p

I love that quote, and I think it sums me up pretty much - but I am trying to improve, and with the help of people here, I think I am getting better. Luckily (?!) for me, I got all of my housekeeping talent from my mum, so there is no criticism from that area...;) My Dad is the chief ironer in their house (everything was ironed when I was growing up - and I mean tea-towels, towels, knickers & socks :eek:, not just the stuff that "needs" it!! :p) and I really wish I had inherited that skill. Sadly, my ironing pile usually meets me eye to eye before I get round to declaring war on it, and I'm 5'4" (although I hasten to add it does sit on the end of my dining table so its not as bad as you would at first think!! :rotfl:). In fact, I'm about to do battle with it tonight...hopefully by the end of Midsomer Murders I shall have a nice row of newly ironed shirts hanging on the door frame ready to be transferred upstairs - watch this space!!:rolleyes:

Queenie - thanks for your reply. I do read the daily thread most days, but rarely post...normally because I don't feel that I have anything useful to contribute (all the "regulars" seem to be so proficient and I am still very much in the "barely off the starting blocks" stage!! :o) but I promise I will try and post a bit more occasionally and build up to joining in on a regular basis. Thanks for the "welcome"!:D

Piglet
  • Peem
    Peem Posts: 645 Forumite
    Options
    This board does have an effect.

My mum was in last week and on leaving actually said "What a mess we've made. Your mum's house was so tidy when we arrived and we've created a bombsite" (she was talking to DS)

She used to walk in and start cleaning stuff and looking at piles in corners and stuff. It was never bad but I didn't pay attention to the detail. Now, 'cause I had washed down all the woodwork (with "drop of stars" as DS calls it) she didn't really notice all the other stuff waiting to be done.
    "You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." - C.S. Lewis
  • earthmother
    Options
    Queenie - thank you for your post :) I've not looked in on the daily thread much - but I will be sure to have a look more often now :)

Piglet - Ironing is a four letter word (well, iron is) - didn't you know :p Hubby does the ironing - and very good he is too - but it's one of those things we never seem to catch up with. I have a photo somewhere I took a few years back of my dining room - all you could see was airers full of laundry drying and chairs full of ironing waiting to happen - not quite as bad now, but there's still a permanent pile somewhere :o

Hope you won your battle last night :)

Peem - it's nice when you get compliments isn't it :) My mum's great - she's never commented on mess, but I know deep down she's probably itching to get stuck in :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure