PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

organic vegbox vs local greengrocer

Options
I wonder what your opinions are on this?

I have been thinking about ordering the organic vegboxes on home delivery by riverford farm (riverford.co.uk) but wonder if I could get a lot more for my money just by visiting local greengrocers?

You'd think, being in Devon that we would have great farmers markets, but the ones I've been to are very overpriced for quite poor quality fruit, veg and meat in my opinion.

Then again, is Tescos the best option for quality and price?

Interested to hear your views.

Comments

• shell2001
    shell2001 Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    Options
    I looked into getting a veggie box delivered thought it would be great to encourage us to try different veg but no-one delivers in our area, despite the fact we live in the fens where god knows how much veg is grown.

The local fruit man and lady are really nice but the choice is limited. I hate having to go to somerfields but as I dont drive its my only choice.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I cancelled my organic box, as it wasn't practical.

After talking to the man who runs it, the items are delivered to them over the weekend. They make all the boxes up on Mondays, and they are delivered Tues-Thurs. Mine arrived on a Thurs but by the weekend when I wanted it for Sunday lunch, a lot of it was spoiled.

I also got bored with the lack of variety. We had 6 courgettes in for weeks on an end. Nobody else likes them, and I'm no overly keen but will eat them. I got sick to death of courgettes with everything just to use them up!

Sometimes you would get say a lettuce but no other salad stuff. Sometimes there were no essentials, like carrots, onions or potatoes, so I would end up going shopping for them anyway.

I found it easier just going to a local greengrocer and buying what I want, when I need it.
    Here I go again on my own....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport