Earning from Photography

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Boost Your Income
11 replies 1.9K views
Angelhales2601Angelhales2601 Forumite
119 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Boost Your Income
Hi there everyone.

Just looking for a bit of advice, have done a search but all topics are very old.

I'm a "good amateur" photographer, so I'm told, I've been getting alot of positive feedback on my photography and would like to start expanding and think about making a career from it.

Does anyone have any advice? Any routes to take?

Thanks

Replies

• Hey Angelhales, there is a link on MSE kind of dedicated to your query.

The link is ... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=576153&highlight=cash+for+photos ... Hope this helps.
  • Angelhales2601Angelhales2601 Forumite
    119 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hi Kelly,

Thanks for that. Yeah not really looking to sell images online as such, more thinking of working with families and babies etc for portraits etc.

Got a few free shoots lined up but need a bit more guidance really :)
  • RachelQRachelQ Forumite
    3 Posts
    Do you think there is a certain standard of camera needed. I have a canon digital and it takes 14.7mega pixels and 15x optical zoom.
    But this is nothing compared to the expensive ones real photographers use.
    I love photography and believe I have a great skill. But I can not afford a better camera.
  • what about weddings? Im sure if you went on some of the many forums discussing wedding money saving you may find people who would be interested. if the OH ever actually asks me I will let you know :rotfl::rotfl:
  • sweetilemonsweetilemon Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, Do you have a college in you local area? Makeup artistry and hairdressing students are always looking for photographers to come into their colleges and take photos of their models for their folios. If you are reasonably priced a lot of the time the majority of the class will use you on any one day which can make you quite a bit. Also getting in touch with modeling agencies and they can use you to help build up a models folio with them. Goodluck!
  • patman99patman99 Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every good photographer has to start somewhere. A (now deceased) former work colleague of mine used to do wedding photography in the late 1960's, he and his colleague used to take shots of the wedding & reception, then rush-off to develop the shots before returning to give the bride and groom their wedding album and a photo-order sheet. All before the end of the reception.

This would be much easier to achieve these days, as you can out-fit a van with a 'digital darkroom' quite easily. Could be quite a good money-spinner.

Get plenty of practice in first. Also, spend a long time learning the ins and outs of a proffessionel level photo editor (either 'The Gimp' or 'Photoshop').
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• RachelQ wrote: »
    Do you think there is a certain standard of camera needed. I have a canon digital and it takes 14.7mega pixels and 15x optical zoom.

I use a Canon 450D and at present have two lenses I use, baout to get a third!

Camera goes some way to the photographs as obviously it needs to be a good camera but not the whole way no.
    what about weddings? Im sure if you went on some of the many forums discussing wedding money saving you may find people who would be interested.

Wedding photography is something I would love to get into but seems to be the market that all photographers aim for and thus I dont know how easy it would be to make a living from.
    Hi, Do you have a college in you local area? Makeup artistry and hairdressing students are always looking for photographers to come into their colleges and take photos of their models for their folios. Goodluck!

Ahh thats a good point actually. I was only thinking yesterday about how to get some more models, that will be something I investigate definately thank you!
  • I am currently in the process of trying to do this myself. I started my photography as a hobby but a lot of people have commented that it is of a standard that I could possibly take things further.

I’m also interested in the portrait side of things (mostly children) but have a couple of people interested in booking me to photograph their weddings next year. I’m taking time to build up my portfolio at the moment and am going to take my time over setting up the business side of things as I want to make sure that I’ve got everything just right before I take that step.

I think the most important thing is to put yourself forward at every opportunity even if it means doing a shoot for free and then charging for any photos purchased afterwards. Also be patient as it does take quite a bit of time to set something like this up.

I’d be interested to see your photos if you have a Flickr account or website – PM me if you are happy to do this :)

One day Rodney we'll be millionaires
    £2020 in 2020 - Running Total £17
  • popadompopadom Forumite
    813 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    patman99 wrote: »
    Every good photographer has to start somewhere. A (now deceased) former work colleague of mine used to do wedding photography in the late 1960's, he and his colleague used to take shots of the wedding & reception, then rush-off to develop the shots before returning to give the bride and groom their wedding album and a photo-order sheet. All before the end of the reception.
    ).

Aww. Not many people would rush like that. Instead waiting a few days (im not saying thats bad,) we need more people like that
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals