Should we stop paying our mortgage?

Options
dh and I jointly own the house. He is thinking of being declared BR.

If he goes down this route and the OR decides we will lose the house should we stop paying the interest only mortgage and save the money for a deposit for rented accomodation?

Comments

• copier_guy
    copier_guy Posts: 507 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Any idea if your house is in negative equity?

Do you want to stay in the house if possible?
  • Angiepange
    Angiepange Posts: 3,521 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Also have a read here

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/pdfs/guidanceleafletspdf/home.pdf

You will not necessarily lose your home through BR.

HTH
  • cas444
    cas444 Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    I think there's about £5-8k equity in the house but there is nowhere I could borrow money from anywhere to buy dhs share of the equity so if the OR wants to sell it we are resigned to losing it.
  • Angiepange
    Angiepange Posts: 3,521 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say then at this stage you should continue with your mortgage (as long as you can afford to pay it, of course, and you hope to remain in the home) and wait and see when DH goes BR what the OR will decide to do with the house.

If you are worried about saving for renting, once valuations have been done and you know what equity is defiinitely the house, and you are in a position where you cannot afford to purchase it, then would be the time to stop paying and start saving for renting. The repo process can take many months so you would have time to save up before eviction.
  • Falze
    Falze Posts: 872 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with Angie. The Repo proceedure does take time.

Also alot of valuations for a quick sale come up less then normal and therefore the equity in the property would be reduced.

Good Luck in whatever you do and dont rush into anything, decide yourselves and in your time scale what you want to do.

Get as much free advise as you can (u can never have too much info) and post queries here and those that know and that have been through it can help you.

Take Care,

Falze.
    I'm no expert, but i'll give you my opinion, my support and my experience. Its all i have.

Delcared BR 28th May'10 - Married 30th April'11 - Auto Discharged 28th May'11 - Life Changing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure