HELP - I don't know what to do

Options
OMG, I don't know what to do!!!

We've been struggling for quite some time and CCCS are unable to help us as we do not have enough income to cover a DMP, so what we are doing is selling the house and every single non-essential item we don't need.

We've been living on a very VERY tight budget and thought that we'd be okay this month... that is until my husband's bank charged him £280 in fees for unpaid overdrafts. We've already spoken to the companies to whom we've been paying via overdraft (and have since thus cancelled them) but £280!!!! That is or WAS meant to be the rest of our month's budget. And we never received a letter in the post warning us of the charges or else I would have made sure we had enough money to live off of.

We do get paid £43/week in child tax credits which always gets paid into DH's account, so last week we phoned up the tax credit people and told them to change the bank details to my account and they assured us that as of the next payment (today) that the money would now be showing up in my account.

We had a really tough weekend - we normally don't go out, so that wasn't a problem, but we've been running low on the only sorts of food our toddler who is a very fussy eater will actually eat. DH is also nearly out of petrol for the car - making it hard for him to get to work - and we have about £5 in pennies to our name.

So today came and I checked the bank accounts and they paid the money into the WRONG account. It is DH's account and has been completely swallowed up by the bank fees. I'm really panicking and I don't know what to do. I mean, that is money that is meant to go towards our daughter! We are in a horrible mess which has spiraled out of control.

I started getting a bit more busy with ebay, but first the things need to sell and then the money needs to clear in my account. And I can only hope that next week, we'll get to see the tax credit money - so DH is going to phone them up in the morning for a wee chat.

Comments

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,591 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your situation.

You can ask for your wtc money back from the bank just use your "first right of appropriation" to ask the bank for the Tax Credit money to live in. They should give it to you if you explain your situation and what money has gone in by mistake. Otherwise there is alway crisis loans but really that is last option. Look on the DWP website for information. Any problems try the CAB website Advice guide or National Debt line they are really good on things like that. Good luck.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125 May £0) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• KatieKat_2
    Options
    Hi thanks, so banks are technically NOT allowed to use wtc or benefits money to cover any overdrawn money (well, even though we wouldn't be overdrawn if it weren't for their insane fees and charges - which by the way, I am going to fight for as well!!)... but my current issue is no money and a small child to look after :(
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you posted a statement of affairs (a list of your incomings and outgoings?). If you did that someone might be able to point you in the right direction as to where you are overspending.

In the meantime use your £5 you have between you to buy some food for the child. Forget about petrol. Your priority is your child. Try to arrange a lift to work for your DH.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Katie

Did you not manage to get a weekend job yet?

Or what about mystery shopping etc, something for you to do with toddler in tow?

Lynz
    x
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    When you posted your SOa you were in the process of changing suppliers for various things. Why don;t you post your new one in this thread and we can start over on it?

Did you manage to speak to the bank today?

Do you have someone you can borrow money off, just for food so you can last the week? Is there a local church you could contact and see if they can help? My church helps people in hardship with food for emergencies.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure