Pick this year's MSE Charities

Options
13»

Comments

• annebarby
    Options
    I nominated Different Strokes and I'm delighted that we have done so well, in being short listed and getting so many votes.

I'd like to thank the MSE team for choosing Different Strokes, and many many thanks to everyone who has voted for us - your support is very much appreciated.

Different Strokes is entirely dependent on voluntary contributions to continue to provide the information, advice and rehabilitation services that younger stroke survivors need. These services will cost us nearly £175,000 this year, and with 35,000 younger people having a stroke every year, the number of people who need them rises all the time.

Thank you once again for your support – the money we receive will really make a difference and will be put to very good use supporting younger stroke survivors.

Anne Barby
  • Former_MSE_Archna
    Options
    Poll Title: Poll Started 12 Sept: As part of this site’s charitable activities, over £30,000 may be donated over the next 12 months to four site user-picked charities (plus Re-Cycle.org my personal choice). The charities were open to nomination by all users then shortlisted by a panel of regulars. Please vote for your favourite, the top two big (B) and two small (S) charities will be chosen. Vote closes morning of 19 Sept.

Cancer Research (B) improves understanding of cancer
    24.1% (1050 Votes)
    Tools For Self Reliance (B) Training and tools for trades in poor parts of Africa
    14.8% (647 Votes)
    Citizens Advice Bureau (B) helps resolve individuals' legal, money and other problems
    11.3% (492 Votes)
    Different Strokes (S) Stroke survivors supporting younger stroke survivors 10.2% (444 Votes)
    Salvation Army (B) Homeless, drug rehab & medical centres; schools & hospitals
    7.8% (343 Votes)
    Usable Websites (S) Provides websites free of charge for charities
    6.1% (269 Votes)
    Noahs Ark Appeal (B) To build Wales’ first dedicated childrens' hospital
    6% (262 Votes)
    Credit Action (B) UK money education charity
    5.7% (248 Votes)
    Personal Assistance Dogs (S) Trains emergency response dogs to assist the disabled
    5.6% (247 Votes)
    British Divers Marine Life Rescue (S) 24 hour UK marine animal rescue service 4.3% (191 Votes)
    Serv (blood runners) (S) Blood delivery to Southern England A&E departments
    1.9% (83 Votes)
    Welfare Rights (S) Helps educate people in Welfare Rights
    1.4% (63 Votes)

Total Votes: 4344
    threadbanner.gif
  • Sarahsaver
    Options
    Thankyou for supporting Different Strokes.
    I had a stroke in 2001 at the age of 31 and it was a terrible, scary time, but Different Strokes helped me come out the other side of a very dark tunnel. They are the only people who truly understood what I went through and what my needs were.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • veganpanda
    Options
    Dunno if anyone out there realises this :confused:

There are charities which perform cruel and pointless animal experiments. One of the wealthiest and well-known ones is CANCER RESEARCH UK.

I believe that many of those that voted for this dreadful charity wouldn't have done if they knew what their practices involved (I could be wrong though?!)
    Customer Services - what a joke!
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dunno if anyone out there realises this :confused:

There are charities which perform cruel and pointless animal experiments. One of the wealthiest and well-known ones is CANCER RESEARCH UK.

I believe that many of those that voted for this dreadful charity wouldn't have done if they knew what their practices involved (I could be wrong though?!)
    from their own website
    A great deal of cancer research is carried out without using animals. In certain areas, however, animal research remains essential if we are to understand, prevent and cure cancer. Cancer Research UK only uses animals when there is no alternative.

other useful links within..................

just for balance
  • Lois_Lane
    Lois_Lane Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    Options

The reason Cancer Research UK exists is to find out more about cancer and how to treat it in humans. They certainly wouldn't waste funds on 'pointless' experiments.

Anyone who has been affected by cancer, and that's the majority of the population, know that the affects can be devastating, so the more we know about how to treat it the better. The whole issue of animal experimentation is a separate discussion, however we wouldn't be able to use any new drugs or treatments if they weren't first tested on animals, unless humans are willing to act as guinea pigs.

Would you like to volunteer XpandaXmirandaX?

LL
    Start BMI - 38.7 Current BMI - 31.2 Target BMI - 26.3
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family