Internet problems

x12yhp
x12yhp Posts: 801 Forumite
Have many on here been suffering the last few days? This morning is OK but since about saturday I have been able to do nothing more than send messages via msn. The connection has been so poor that I have been unable to load all but the most trivially small pages. Now, I am with sky and that is a factor because they are known to be one of the very worst providers. However, one of my friends is on talk talk and was reporting exactly the same problems which makes me think that it is a BT problem.

So does anyone know anymore about this? Frankly I am fed up phoning sky only for them to tell me that there is nothing wrong with the connection which cannot load webpages!!
Always overestimating...

Comments

• Bigcammy
    Bigcammy Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 July 2010 at 9:17AM
    Which Sky package are you on? If it's the LLU one where Sky take over your line from BT, which is usually the case and the same for Talk Talk, then it's unlikely to be a BT issue. You might get more response on the Broadband or Technical boards.
    Norn Iron Club Member No. 252 :beer:
  • x12yhp
    It is the connect package which i understand to be as you say. So are you suggesting that both sky and talk talk have the same problem at the same time by co-incidence?

Thanks
    Always overestimating...
  • jclegs
    jclegs Posts: 323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Have you tried to browse from more than one PC to rule out malware?
  • x12yhp
    Oh yes. It is most definitely something beyond our system which makes it all the more annoying.... and it continues. Im trying to do a speedtest but cant actually get the speedtest page to load fully!
    Always overestimating...
  • jclegs
    jclegs Posts: 323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Try speedtester.bt.com and see if it loads. If it doesn't I'd ring Sky.
  • chunter
    chunter Posts: 2,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Switch off the router for a minuter or two and switch back on.

If it's still slow and Sky say line ok, it's a 90% chance it's malware.

It's it a wireless connection, there's a very small possible someone very near you has a new router and it's on the same channel.

Oh and viruses can be localised. Bebo and Facebook have made that a more common occurrence. See it regular.

Take yourself over to the Techie forum and put your post over there. They'll run you through the steps to check for infections.
  • I'm having trouble on BT this past couple of days too.
  • x12yhp
    I can't even load most sites at the moment so speedtests are pointless!

I never like to preface a post with 'I know what I am doing' but perhaps I should have done so. I am a network administrator and do a lot of windows based operation. So I know that there is nothing wrong with the PCs being used.

Calling sky really is useless because the CS people work from a list and we have been through everything. They generally conclude that their is no problem and they are unable to debate beyond what is on their list so you have nowhere to go.

Really what I need to find out is whether others are suffering too. As we understand it, only O2 are LLU in my area so it does sound like it is BT at fault... so thanks spendaholiceejit, it is good to hear that someone else is suffering!!
    Always overestimating...
  • Could it be anything to do with a local increase in traffic? I found this a couple of years ago = when the neighbour's son was back from uni my access speeds fell off - he was downloading films etc!
  • bribrian
    bribrian Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    There's 2 levels of broadband customer service at Sky.. The level 1 guys run through the basic 'check connections' rubbish & the next level are the techie guys. You could ask to be put straight through to the level 2 guys or phone after 9.30pm when you've a good chance of getting one directly on the line........
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about !!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure