🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Extra money for you or every penny on debts?

Options
2»

Comments

• mintymoneysaver
    Options
    I think you do need some 'me' money.My aim at the moment is to get rid of my overdraft, so even though I officially have about £200 money for me each month I try to spend less than that so I can get the overdraft down.I think £100 is a fair amount.
  • Dan2779
    Options
    I have some money each month which is 'me' money as there is always something I need to splash out on each month e.g toiletries, a new top, a night out....
    As long as you have budgeted for all of your bills and are happy with the length of time it will take you to pay your debt back e.g. before you are 30 then you shouldnt feel guilty.
    Danielle :D
    Debt at Highest £3989.04 on 01/09/06:eek:
    Debt Free 15/04/07 :j

:cool: £2 Savings Cub - £96 (£50 banked)
  • shellyjane
    Options
    Well I certainly feel less guilty now. My OH tells me I need to keep more money for me and for emergencies!
    Debt at highest (Jan 2006) £11,823.28 :mad:

Debt at present (October 2010) £0.00 :j
  • carriel_2
    Options
    Well, i'm a bit hard on myself & dont allow myself any 'me' money out of our regular income, hubby gets £10 a week for cricket & everything else we need comes out of the budget.

BUT living with no pleasures for me is boring & pointless, so in order to be able to treat myself, hubbie & kids I earn extras, any extras are free to be spent on wants as long as its not a huge amount, so any ebay sales can be spent on wants, amazon sales, Avon commission etc.

Anything out of this that we dont spend is being put into a savings account for emergencies & rainy days. Once there is more than £500 in there, any extra will be moved & used to pay of debts.

Its my way of giving us all occassional treats without the guilt.
  • spud30
    spud30 Posts: 16,872 Forumite
    Options
    I dont have any me money yet.

Maybe when my sig looks a bit better, I might, but not yet.
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches :think:
    Loves being a Wonderbra friend :kisses3:
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my "me money" was always and only my cigarette money.

Im not smoking at the moment so theoretically should have 35 extra per week. or 150 a month.

I certainly dont have this money left this month as Ive overspent on decorating items ( 3.50 for a drill bit :wall:) and am utterly skint :(

But as of the 20th I should have this.

Im likely to pay one week off debt then save the next.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • shellyjane
    Options
    Hey Lynzpower

I used to smoke - gave up nearly a year ago to save money. The strange thing is I still don't have the extra money I should be saving from giving up.(Its weird how I could always find the money for cigs!!!)
    Debt at highest (Jan 2006) £11,823.28 :mad:

Debt at present (October 2010) £0.00 :j
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    lynzpower wrote:
    my "me money" was always and only my cigarette money.

Im not smoking at the moment so theoretically should have 35 extra per week. or 150 a month.

I certainly dont have this money left this month as Ive overspent on decorating items ( 3.50 for a drill bit :wall:) and am utterly skint :(

But as of the 20th I should have this.

Im likely to pay one week off debt then save the next.

Why'd you need a drill bit - looks like your head is doinga good job there.....

Strawberry, you need SOME treats else you'll up like brassic - or crack up completely and SPEND REAL MONEY!!!!!! If you feel guilty collect as many pigsback points etc & cash them in for Boots vouchers - that can be your treat
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport