Want to save...but want my teeth fixed!

Options
bit of a dilemma the past couple of months. i've found this website which has been great, really getting into moneysaving and i come on and have a a look everyday to keep me motivated!

however, my teeth are really squint, to the point its all i think about. dont really like smiling as much and i hate every photo of me because all i can see is my front teeth! i havent been to the dentist yet, so i dont know how much it would cost but i'm guessing in the region off 3k. i really want it done before i ever get married as i dont want to hate my wedding pics. only thing is me and my boyfriend want to buy a flat too so are trying to save for a deposit etc.

really dont know whether to go ahead with it and probably delay the flat buying. my boyfriend is about to start uni too so money will be tight for the next few year. its really getting me down :(

i know there is not much any of you can say but just felt like telling my little story for now! :D

Comments

• angeldeelite
    Options
    i should add that i would need a bank loan to pay for it :(
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Look into those "Go to Poland and get your mouth fixed" trips.

It can work out cheaper to fly there, get your teeth done, have a weeks holiday and then come back, than to go to the dentist down the road.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • LewisC_2
    Options
    Is a hammer and chisel not cheaper? :D
    No longer visiting these forums.
  • angeldeelite
    Options
    ZTD wrote:
    Look into those "Go to Poland and get your mouth fixed" trips.

It can work out cheaper to fly there, get your teeth done, have a weeks holiday and then come back, than to go to the dentist down the road.

thats a great idea, tho i dont believe it will be viable as it is a brace i need which need lots of aftercare. will look into it tho, thanks
  • Bambywamby
    Bambywamby Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Once you are on the property ladder it will be easier to get a loan to pay for your teeth AND will give you time to totally shop around and price up.

It is too late for you to have an adult brace fitted?

Or have you tried your doctors? can you get it sorted on the NHS as it is damaging yourself esteem so much?

Look into every possible alley before you commit yourself - be 100% sure you would rather have your teeth done before a roof over your head.

Good luck - Bams x.x.x
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    thats a great idea, tho i dont believe it will be viable as it is a brace i need which need lots of aftercare. will look into it tho, thanks

I believe that the aftercare is done in this country, but since most of the "heavy lifting" is done abroad, it works out cheaper.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • angeldeelite
    Options
    Bambywamby wrote:
    Once you are on the property ladder it will be easier to get a loan to pay for your teeth AND will give you time to totally shop around and price up.

It is too late for you to have an adult brace fitted?

Or have you tried your doctors? can you get it sorted on the NHS as it is damaging yourself esteem so much?

Look into every possible alley before you commit yourself - be 100% sure you would rather have your teeth done before a roof over your head.

Good luck - Bams x.x.x

these are my dilemmas, i could wait until i have a flat but that could be 2 years down the line, then i could have braces for 2 years so by the times its done i could be over 30, i dont want to put off a wedding (if he ever asks haha) because my teeth are not done.
    its funny i thought my biggest issue would be the horrible thought of having braces on and looking stupid, but it seems i have money saving on the brain!

i've sent enquiries to a couple of overseas dentists so we'll see what happens. thanks for the advice people, combining it with the annual holiday could save loads!
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    id be interested to know how you get on. My teeth are horrendous ( years of smoking has not helped one bit) my dad says they are like a row of "kicked over gravestones" :rolleyes:

Im not paranoid, but I would love to have them done. In addition Ive got a crown at the front about to give way any day now, and Im dreading it going, i dont have the 800 quid needed to replace it. :eek:

and even if I did id probably be too tight to spend it LOL
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Boomdocker
    Boomdocker Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure I can offer much advise although I do sympathise as I had something similar with my eyes. I had worn glasses for years and it was a hugely personal decision that this affected my confidence enormously. In the end I researched numerous providers to see what options were available to me and at what cost. I had laser eye surgery at a cost of £3000 and I do not regret a sinlge penny of it. I was lucky enough that they offered a years interest free credit and next month the last payment is due. For me this was, dare I say, a life changing experience. To be spec free for me has given me confidence I never knew I had.

In short what I am getting at is if it means that much to you then you should research it, save a little for a deposit or for repayments and make sure you can afford it. Do you know how much it will cost yet? Is it savable by making some budgetting adjustments? Do you need a holiday this year? Could you redirect some of those funds?

Best wishes with your decision.
    Boots Card - £17.53, Nectar Points - £15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
    2015 Savings Fund - £2575.00
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya, think very seriously before you have anything major done to you. Not only is the expense severe, but the prospect of having no teeth in 20 years because of cosmetic work done now should make you stop and think.

Like Boomdocker, I have considered eye surgery so that I no longer need to wear glasses. However, I was not willing to take the risk of side effects or eye damage. For me, even a 5% risk was far too high.

I shouldn't be surprised to find out that there is a similar risk with major tooth work. Crowns only last 10 years and after one replacement there is a risk that you're snookered...braces are fine but we're not just talking braces here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure