Are products designed to fail?

cepheus
cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
edited 25 July 2010 at 10:32AM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
Which products would you fit into this category.

I am furious with my Canon printer. Printers only seem to last two years before an insignificant fault develops which renders the whole thing useless. To add insult to injury the only way of finding whether it was a cartridge or printer fault was to buy another expensive cartridge!. Most of their new printers now use different cartridges.

Another example are electric razor blades, the replacements are almost as expensive as the razor.

To me these are examples of designed obsolescence, or non standardisation to create a captive market. They also seem to keep 'upgrading' the product to ensure cheap replacement parts can't be produced by third parties. What can be done.

Are the sustainable development commission doing its job? Perhaps if such products break down within 5 years we should get a cheap repair? Say if a law came in stating that the cost of repair can't exceed 20% the cost of the item times the number of years since purchase?

Comments

• Googlewhacker
    Googlewhacker Posts: 3,887 Forumite
    Soga is quite enough for if you have any problems but some things just wear down and if you only payu £70 for a printer then can you really expect it to last more than 2 years? Probably not.
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • cepheus
    edited 25 July 2010 at 12:05PM
    But I only print about a sheet a day on average, its hardly wear. These cartridges are designed to be replaced not refilled. It's the chipped cartridge and associated electronics which recognise when you need to replace it which is the problem. 99% of this printer is fine.

Neither does this address why the same type of cartridges can't be used in the new printers since you are obviously going to be left with some spare when the printer fails.

The manufacturers have worked this out to sell more ink and more printers. For a low user which we all should be (how often do you really need to print) how can large complex printers be justified?

No this is not a satisfactory answer. Products which are rarely used should last longer than 2 years. Compatibility is the other issue.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    cepheus wrote: »
    Are the sustainable development commission doing its job? Perhaps if such products break down within 5 years we should get a cheap repair? Say if a law came in stating that the cost of repair can't exceed 20% the cost of the item times the number of years since purchase?

Just think about what you have just said !!

There is a Canon Printer/Scanner/Copier in Argos for £34.99. A 20% "Law" would mean a max cost of repair of £6.99.

Just who is going to repair this for £6.99 ?? To send it back to repair depot in the UK would cost £5 in shipping/handling, £40 (absolute minimum) in Labour costs, £20 for the replacement part - now double that so that Canon can meet all their costs of running this enterprise/paying taxes, NI, etc, etc, etc. Total "cost" of repair is now £130 - so Canon would have to sell this printer at £780 a go to just cover their potential costs from a single breakdown..

Yep - a really well thought out idea !

I'll carry on paying £34.99 thank you..................
  • cepheus
    edited 25 July 2010 at 12:17PM
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    Just think about what you have just said !!

There is a Canon Printer/Scanner/Copier in Argos for £34.99. A 20% "Law" would mean a max cost of repair of £6.99.

Just who is going to repair this for £6.99 ?? To send it back to repair depot in the UK would cost £5 in shipping/handling, £40 (absolute minimum) in Labour costs, £20 for the replacement part - now double that so that Canon can meet all their costs of running this enterprise/paying taxes, NI, etc, etc, etc. Total "cost" of repair is now £130 - so Canon would have to sell this printer at £780 a go to just cover their potential costs from a single breakdown..

Yep - a really well thought out idea !

I'll carry on paying £34.99 thank you..................

Just think what you have just said, because your brain seems to be dead! The Sale of goods act (SOGA) at present would mean they have to repair or replace goods for free after one year at least probably two. All what a 20% rule means is that they would have to design the thing so as not to fail so it will still be worth repairing after 4 years at 80% cost instead of throwing it away!

My god these companies must be laughing all the way to the bank reading your replies.

You are also thinking like consumers rather than an environmentalists. SOGA often forces companies to replace products which are unsatisfactory, they should be designed to work satisfactorily for 5 years or at least repaired not replaced.

Can't believe I'm having to explain all this on a green forum!!!
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    cepheus wrote: »
    Just think what you have just said, because your brain seems to be dead!

The usual response when your argument destroyed - resort to personal insults !
  • GetRealBabe
    GetRealBabe Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 25 July 2010 at 1:51PM
    Hi

I had a Canon IP2600 printer. After a year of light printing the paper feed gave up and it just wouldn't work.

I've had a Canon Pixma MP810 for about 5 years and it's still going strong.

I think the problem is that cheaper printers aren't made to last.

GRB
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 089-Finally got a signature.:rotfl::j

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi

I had a Canon IP2600 printer. After a year of light printing the paper feed gave up and it just wouldn't work.

I've had a Canon Pixma MP810 for about 5 years and it's still going strong.

I think the problem is that cheaper printers aren't made to last.

GRB

its like with anything, ive still a aiwa hi fi i bought over 10 years ago and its still working strong and at the time it wasnt cheap or to me it wasnt(i think it was about £150) we have a thomson crt tv thats 8 years or more old and its still working(cost was about at least £300 or more)
  • cepheus
    edited 25 July 2010 at 3:48PM
    Did you read past the first line moonraker, your point doesn't make the remotest sense if you do. You have not won any argument merely demonstrated your ability to argue for the sake of it. Trolling no less.
  • cepheus
    edited 25 July 2010 at 3:53PM
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    its like with anything, ive still a aiwa hi fi i bought over 10 years ago and its still working strong and at the time it wasnt cheap or to me it wasnt(i think it was about £150) we have a thomson crt tv thats 8 years or more old and its still working(cost was about at least £300 or more)

I have TVs and stereos which have worked longer than this, but printers and shaver heads seem to be notorious for a short life. Thats why I smell a rat with some products!

The other issue here is that without all the fancy electronics on these cartridges this printer would still be working. In other words it would be cheaper still to make it work longer, but this would be less profitable for the company.

Never has there been a better example of a product designed to create extra sales by encouraging a throwaway design. This is nothing to do with cost, it is designed to fail through complexity.
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good old planed obsolescence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business