Sky - Taken from another forum.

Options
This is taken from another forum I found.
i have a friend who works for Sky who told me that the powers that be are really worried about cancelations of subsciptins due to NTL and Telewest's recent price drive for new business. It's said that a memo has gone round Sky saying that you are to keep the customers at any cost should they try to cancel.

I decided to test this theroy.

I pay £42.50 soon to be £43.50 for the movies and sports package.

I phoned them up and said I wanted to cancel due to NTL offereing me the 3 for £30 package which includes phone, broadband and sky. I told them I could add movies and sports and still save a considerable amount a year.

They told me that they have just introduced a free broadband package and the phone services were coming. I told them that I was aware of the broadband bt was told it was not in my area yet but I was interested after all I really didnt want to leave Sky and felt the money was the deciding factor.

They offered me 6 months half price to stay, which would give them time to get the new services in my area.

Thats £130.50 for a 5 minute phone call.

I made the same phone call for my Dad and got him the same offer, and the best bit is he doesn't even have NTL or any other cable company in his are and they don't even check.

Comments

• shellyjane
    Options
    I don' think I'm very good at this sort of stuff as I have tried getting the price down on my sky and they said no! Anyone got any more tips on how to do this!?
    Debt at highest (Jan 2006) £11,823.28 :mad:

Debt at present (October 2010) £0.00 :j
  • Dr.Shoe_2
    Dr.Shoe_2 Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    Options
    Just say that you want to stop the subscription.

This won't work if you've been with them for less than a year.
    [strike]-£20,000[/strike] 0!
  • Jacky-f
    Options
    I phoned Sky last week, told them I could get a better deal from Telewest and could they match it. The first person I spoke to said they didn't have any deals just now so I asked to cancel.

I was then transferred to someone in the cancellations dept who immediately offered me my same package for half price for the next 5 months. I'm on the sports package at £37, so thats a saving of £18.50 for 5 months. Not bad for a five minute phone call.

The people in the call centres know that you don't really want to cancel - it's just a game but they seem happy to play along. If they do accept your cancellation just say you have to discuss it with your husband/wife first and then try again next week!
  • themaccas
    themaccas Posts: 1,453 Forumite
    Options
    We cancelled our sky last year when we moved house. Unfortunately at our new house we have a row of silver birch trees just the other side of the road and these TOTALLY block out any transmission making it impossible for us to receive SKY at all. All our neighbours can which mad eit even more annoying. We phoned to cancel our contract and were offered amazing deals to stay, I think they thought we were making the situation up! At one point we were offered 12 months half price and free SKY + box. So we have no SKY now and still miss it sometimes but we do have freeview and top-up TV costing only 7.99 per month and it is great. They are updating the top-up tv and the price is going up to 9.99 per month with more channels though and you will be able to get a much better reciever with hard drive, pause/rewind tv just like sky+. I'm not sure I would go back to sky now at all even if we could, our bank balance appreciates it too!
    Debtfree JUNE 2008 - Thank you MSE:T
  • Jumps
    Jumps Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    Just to let you all know that if you have sky+ and enjoy the pause, record,series link,etc then you can keep this facility if you cancel your subscription and use the box for freeview. I pay £10 per month to keep this facility and just have the box as a freeview box, it means that I can still record my favorite programmes. I know I could buy a hard drive recorder but they can be quite pricey and as far as I know you can not series link programmes. If anyone wants any more info just ask!
    Debt Oct 2006 £42,215.21 at highest. Debt Today £0.00
  • Smashing
    Smashing Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    Options
    Lowering the cost is great, but it'd be an even bigger saving if you just cancel altogether and stick with freeview.
  • reformed_man
    Options
    When I called a couple of days ago I was offered 25% off for a whole year .That's a saving of £126! Excellent! :smiley:
  • wellread1
    Options
    I just tried this but came unstuck as I have SKY HD (taken out in July). Apparently, I'm on a 12 month contract and they suggested I write in. Has anyone else had a similar problem and could they still get a reduction ?
    :T
  • lazy&indebt
    Options
    Pah! Sky? 1000 channels and there's never anything on!
    Was debt free... then went travelling!
  • severussnape
    Options
    why do we all have sky anyway we're always on here
    Light Bulb Moment 1st January '06-£82,000 :idea:
    Debt 6th August '06 -£91,500 :eek:
    Bankrupt 7th August '06 :o
    BCSC Member 17:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories