'Do you believe in the BBC licence fee?' poll discussion

Options

Comments

• lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Options
    Cleany wrote: »
    That's good value. Do you have to be an O2 customer?

I am aware, by the way, that O2 have one of the worse (if not the) traffic filtering systems on their broadband.

no

O2 Access is I believe is pretty poor however their LLU service is second to none.
  • lucylucky
    Options
    AfterMath wrote: »
    only a quarter agreeing in totality with the licensing fee,
    and nearly half saying it should go.
    Whether you like the BBC or not that is public speaking...
    Time for change........

I agree there should be a change but hardly the "masses have spoken".
  • Cleany
    Cleany Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    Eric_Pisch wrote: »
    although the mass flock are being influenced heavily by murdoch and his cohorts decades of anti beeb propaganda ..

right so everyone who disagrees with you comes under the category of "mass flock", a term used to describe sheep, and have been brainwashed somehow.

how lucky for you that you are more capable at resisting propoganda than those that disagree with you. and how lucky that, even though millions would agree with you, you are not part of a "mass flock".

might i attempt to break out of my brainwashed, herd-following ignorance and speculate that my opinion hasnt been "influenced" by rupert murdock, and I simply find most of the BBC content rubbish, and would happily do without it or have adverts on there. And I think that people shouldn't be forced to pay for it's upkeep, whether or not they like it. is that allowed as a valid personal opinion that carries as much weight as yours? even though im obviously not as independant minded as you are.
  • lucylucky
    Options
    Cleany wrote: »
    right so everyone who disagrees with you comes under the category of "mass flock", a term used to describe sheep, and have been brainwashed somehow.

how lucky for you that you are more capable at resisting propoganda than those that disagree with you. and how lucky that, even though millions would agree with you, you are not part of a "mass flock".

might i attempt to break out of my brainwashed, herd-following ignorance and speculate that my opinion hasnt been "influenced" by rupert murdock, and I simply find most of the BBC content rubbish, and would happily do without it or have adverts on there. And I think that people shouldn't be forced to pay for it's upkeep, whether or not they like it. is that allowed as a valid personal opinion that carries as much weight as yours? even though im obviously not as independant minded as you are.

There is much in the Murdoch outpourings that is anti-BBC which no doubt influences many people. Those that are influenced by this in a similar way could be said to have sheep like herding insticts. That is in no way to denegrate anyone's opinion, however there are those that believe if something is published in the Sun then it must be true.(Gawd help them)
  • ErisBadb
    ErisBadb Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    The bottom line is that we are forced to pay the tv licence fee even if we don't watch the BBC! I think this is OUTRAGEOUS. Why can't they fund themselves from the people who think they are worth funding? ( It seems that quite a few people think they are worth the money. ) Wish I was on a top salary running a company that has got a lawful right to screw the public for money.
  • colins2
    colins2 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    j_jay4 wrote: »
    Seriously how can anyone deny the BBC of the license fee, it is one of the best organisations on the planet producing a huge amount of entertainment, Ad-Free!!!!!! If you don't know what adverts are turn on any commercial radio station and listen to half a dozen adverts after every song that usually involves the use of inane stupid catchy 1 line songs repeated so many times a day your brain is eventually filled with them. I'm sure I'm not allowed to repeat any on this forum but directory enquiry services and comparison websites are amongst the main culprits. They are appalling, verging on unethical and beyond irritating. The BBC is a godsend and let it live a long and prosperous life, at least until my hearing has left and I am no longer subject to the torturous lyrics of webuyanycar.com

Absolutely right. For people who don't mind the adverts, there are hundreds of channels to choose from with varying degrees of content. For those who hate them there are very few. Being free from advertising and having to please their sponsors is what makes the BBC channels worth watching and may millions of people do, worldwide.
  • ianshakespeare
    Options
    Those of you who have suggested advertising have obviously never spent much time watching US TV. If you had you would realise that the BEEB (generally) is far better. At least we don't get constant adverts when you don't expect it. Be careful what you wish for!
  • Bargainetta
    Bargainetta Posts: 77 Forumite
    edited 22 July 2010 at 5:22PM
    Options
    I think £100 would be about right, it has gone up percentage wise quite a lot. Unusually, I would like to see more repeats of the good stuff a bit like Channel 4+1 because I very rarely use iplayer because I want to sit in a more relaxed position with a big screen rather than sit at my computer. I love Who Do You Think You Are and it has been very educational in the fact that I have come to understand more about my own family from facts gleened from this, in particular the Julian Clary edition but also Jane Horrocks and Bill Oddie. Some of the BBC Films have been really good too.
  • lucylucky
    Options
    If you can't get it then why would you pay for it?
  • LittleMissAspie
    LittleMissAspie Posts: 2,130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't agree with having to pay the BBC to watch non-BBC channels and that's why I don't have a TV. It's like having to pay a yearly supermarket charge to Sainsburys, even though you shop in Tesco. I think the BBC should become subscription like Sky and then people who just want to watch ITV and Channel 4 can get a TV.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure