🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Good or poor deal?

Options
Do any of you mortgage whizz kids know if this is a good or bad deal? I would like a fixed rate as I prefer to know what I will have to pay out over the next 5 or so years. I'm afraid of more rises in rates. I am at present on a variable rate with a 'big lender'. They have offered me a choice of 3 fixed deals - 2 years, arrangement costs 199 pounds, 5 and 10 years, no arrangement costs. The rates for the 2 year deal are 6.25% and for the 5 year deal, 6.35%. Deals are portable and with the 5 year deal penalties are: 5% year 1, 4% year 2, 3% year 3 and so on. 10% can be paid off loan each year without any penalties. I have looked at other lenders but there are so many to get my head around and a lot of them charge various fees. :-/
Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.

Comments

• luckyfool
    luckyfool Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    Options
    The short answer is that it's a pretty poor deal. Like most major lenders Halifax/Abbey etc they don't offer good deals to existing customers. The rates you quote sound alot like Halifax Existing customer deals.

Halifax would offer new customers remortgaging a 2 year deal @ 5.29% or 5.39% depending on ltv with £499 and £399 fees.

The best deal for you will depend alot on how much you have outstanding on your mortgage. Also on the Loan to Value. A good 2 year fixed rate would be below 5.5%, 5 year fixed rates are around 5.75%.

Its certainly worth your while shopping around or getting a free mortgage broker to do it for you.

cheers

Joe
  • moneybags_3
    Options
    :)

Thanks Joe. You are right it is Halifax. It might be too late for me now, I was on the phone to them about their 5 year deal and they are sending me out the paperwork. If I can decline it, I will shop around for a better deal.
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • lakelady
    lakelady Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What do those in the know think are the best deals now?

I am looking for a repayment mortgage of £67000-ish, on a house worth about £275000, over 15 years, ideally without fees.

Any brokers reading who can make recommendations? I would be happy for you to sort it out for me and get any commission available.
  • DiggingOut
    Options
    :)

Thanks Joe.  You are right it is Halifax.  It might be too late for me now, I was on the phone to them about their 5 year deal and they are sending me out the paperwork.  If I can decline it, I will shop around for a better deal.

If you haven't signed paperwork, I'm sure you can back out.
    I have five stars! This doesn't mean that I know anything about any of the things I post. I could be a raving lunatic, or a brilliant genius, or just some guy on the internet. In fact, I could be all three at the same time.

If anything I say makes sense, then do it. If not, don't. Don't blame me or my stars if you do something stupid because I suggested it. I'm responsible for my own stupidity only. You are responsible for yours.

Why, I don't even have five stars anymore! Aren't you glad you aren't responsible for my stupidity?
  • DiggingOut
    Options
    What do those in the know think are the best deals now?

I am looking for a repayment mortgage of £67000-ish, on a house worth about £275000, over 15 years, ideally without fees.  

Any brokers reading who can make recommendations?  I would be happy for you to sort it out for me and get any commission available.

Brokers can't really make specific recommendations on this board. There are several fees-free brokers who post here -- Payless, MortgageMan, MortgageXclusive. Their contact details are on their profiles, why don't you contact one or more of them directly for recommendations?
    I have five stars! This doesn't mean that I know anything about any of the things I post. I could be a raving lunatic, or a brilliant genius, or just some guy on the internet. In fact, I could be all three at the same time.

If anything I say makes sense, then do it. If not, don't. Don't blame me or my stars if you do something stupid because I suggested it. I'm responsible for my own stupidity only. You are responsible for yours.

Why, I don't even have five stars anymore! Aren't you glad you aren't responsible for my stupidity?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport