Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

So whats the answer to the DELL 720

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
22 replies 8.1K views

Replies

• lynneinjapanlynneinjapan Forumite
    400 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I read on another thread (http://forum.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Urgents;action=display;num=1096312056;start=81#97) that the Dell cartridges are ALMOST identical to the Lexmark ones but one of them has a lug that's missing on the other, and the other one has a notch, so that Lexmark cartridges won't fit into a Dell printer (and maybe vice versa, I'm not sure). I think it may be possible to file the lug off and make it fit, though I don't know of anyone who's tried it!
  • OI cannot find the cartridge on blastyour account or inkraider.co.uk which does not come up at all ???
    Please direct me to the page where I can order Dell 720 cartridges at least this time round as I am now so low on ink I need them desperately

HOW DO I READ THE FIVE POSTS RELATING TO THIS POSTING?
  • Could anyone please give a definitive answer. Cartridge world will refill my Dell 720 ink cartridges and they and others, say there is no equivalent cartridge manufactured by anyone, so are all the links on this thread for refills and ink. Can anyone please tell me if I can buy full cartridges urgently that I may well refill at a later date. Everyone seems to liken them to the Lexmark 700 series but us techno phobes need to buy the exact equivalent and from where. Thanks you in anticipation of a solution.
  • We refilled our trial cartridges last night with tesco value ink. Wasn't too messy a job (even for a cack handed person like myself) and the refill kits for both cartridges cost well under 20 quid. There's probably enough ink left for another 4 refills, too. And it's printing like a dream......
  • lynneinjapanlynneinjapan Forumite
    400 Posts
    ✭✭
    To Grizzly_Bear: Yes, the ONLY place that you can buy new Dell cartridges is direct from Dell. You can certainly get your cartridges refilled, and you may be able to buy refilled Dell cartridges, at Cartridge World and the like (though there may not be many of these refilled cartridges around at the moment because it's a relatively new product), but you can't buy compatibles that are not refilled original Dell cartridges.

My mum asked in one of the Cartridge World places (or an equivalent) and they told her that the cartridges are identical to the Lexmark ones except that the lids are different, so - in theory, at least - all you need to do is buy the almost-equivalent Lexmark cartridge, take the top off it and replace it with the top from the original Dell cartridge.  How easy this will be in practice, though, I don't know!
  • littlemisscheaplittlemisscheap Forumite
    469 Posts
    ✭✭
    "We refilled our trial cartridges last night with tesco value ink. Wasn't too messy a job (even for a cack handed person like myself) and the refill kits for both cartridges cost well under 20 quid. There's probably enough ink left for another 4 refills, too. And it's printing like a dream...... "

This sounds good to me, any ideas how to do the same?

Tesco value ink details/price would be good please

also, how to physically refill (without breaking anything including my other arm :-/) - directions please?
  • veronaronaveronarona Forumite
    542 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Oh no! I had a link saved to someone who said he could help with instructions for refilling the Dell cartridges... but of course it leads nowhere since the new site. It looks as though it leads to "yabb", I'll see if the name brings up anything.

I would advise you, littlemisscheap, to buy some refill inks and follow the instructions + your nose. I've done it with my Hewlett Packard (another expensive machine to keep inked).

veronarona
  • The answer is to buy a compatible Lexmark cartridge eg the black TH1016 (10N0016) from eg http://www.choicestationery.com/acatalog/Lexmark.html at a cost of £14.99 incl vat and delivery and follow these wise words from Scattycat :

"The Dell cartridge tops have a triangle of plastic removed from the top right hand corner, whereas the Lexmark ones have a location slot in the middle.
    All you need to do is, lift the cartridge retaining clip on the printer and bend or cut off the peg on the lid, RHS near hinge.That peg is to prevent you closing the lid with other than Dell cartridges. At first I thought that there might be a centering prob, but the clip seems to still do the job. I concluded that the peg had no other function other than to force you to use Dell."

I cut off the black peg with a pair of nail clippers..easy-peasy.
    Dont forget to disconnect from the mains before cutting off the peg..just in case !!
  • littlemisscheaplittlemisscheap Forumite
    469 Posts
    ✭✭
    Okay, I manages to re-fill the inks in my dell printer - And no it wasn't as easy as I thought but once done it gets set up to make it now very easy to do in future.

I drilled a hole in the black cartridge with the corkscrew like drill bit that tesco provide and filled a good 15ml of ink in it (I would not advise of any more than that as will leak everywhere) - I had kitchen paper towels handy for blotting away ink spills.

I also had a damp cloth with which I had to completely clean out both the printer and the cartridges before I could get my printer to print correctly after which it was a doddle.

I only used the one syringe, for all colours and black, just rinsing with water in between colours and drying with more paper towels.

The colour lid was mission impossible for me to get open which is what the instructions said so I skipped that and just guessed according to the diagram and the size/position of the holes where to drill my own (as per black).

Worked a treat - ran my dell printer tests a few times and voila.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I feel like trying my sisters HP printer next!
  • Thanks a lot. I'll give it a go
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals