Former_MSE_Guy Posts: 1,650 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

Comments

• Bollinge
    Bollinge Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tried to get a £2 statutory on-line report from Experian today.

Their website still talks about a £2 seven-day postal report, or a £2 on-line report after they send you a PIN by second class post, four days after your application, er........ seven days or more total, I think.

I phoned up and their operators knew nothing of the new arrangements, neither did their Press Office.

They are still trying to milk it for big money subscription credit reports from people worried about identity theft. Who would wait seven to ten days to see who's robbing you if your identity had been cloned? You would pay their fee and get instant access.

The MSE story says Experian have offered instant two quid reports for the last two weeks. Not so.
  • Rupert_Bear
    Rupert_Bear Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    Bollinge wrote: »
    Tried to get a £2 statutory on-line report from Experian today.

Their website still talks about a £2 seven-day postal report, or a £2 on-line report after they send you a PIN by second class post, four days after your application, er........ seven days or more total, I think.

I phoned up and their operators knew nothing of the new arrangements, neither did their Press Office.

They are still trying to milk it for big money subscription credit reports from people worried about identity theft. Who would wait seven to ten days to see who's robbing you if your identity had been cloned? You would pay their fee and get instant access.

The MSE story says Experian have offered instant two quid reports for the last two weeks. Not so.

unquote.

After reading the following from their website

£2 Statutory Credit Report

What information does your statutory credit report cover?

Your statutory credit report details your credit history. It contains all the public and private information recorded in your name and available to lenders carrying out a credit check through Experian.
    What are the benefits of getting your statutory credit report?
    • Understand your credit history
    • Take control of your financial situation
    • Make informed financial decisions
    • Protect yourself from identity theft
    What You Need in Order to Apply

Please note when completing your application you will need to supply all addresses you have lived at in the last 6 years. Please make sure you have your full address details, including any postcodes, before you start to apply.
    How to Order Your Statutory Credit Report

There are many ways to order your statutory credit report, select the most appropriate method for you from the options given below:
    Order Your Statutory Credit Report
    You can order your statutory credit report online or by post.

Order Online
    The cost of ordering a statutory credit report online is £2. You can choose to view your report online or to receive it by post within seven working days. If you choose to view your report online, we will email a passkey to you once the report is available, so you can log in to a secure area of our website.
    I have read and understand the privacy statement and consent to the identity verification and fraud prevention procedures it describes.
    I have applied for my Experian credit report before.

Unquote.

Tried to view online. However received an email stating it will be posted in seven days. B....dy !!!!!! heads!!!
  • MCGONIS
    MCGONIS Posts: 699 Forumite
    Options
    I too have just tried to view my £2 Experian report online. After entering everything, they said they would email within 4 days to confirm when it was available to view.

Yet Equifax and Call Credit showed their version of my credit report instantly.

Experian, who I feel is the most important bureau, seems to be dragging it's feet a wee bit. :(
  • Wutang_2
    Wutang_2 Posts: 2,513 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Guy wrote: »
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

Guy,

Labour are no longer in charge.

Via Experian - you can order your report but you cannot actually instantly see it.

Actually, not "everyone" can access the free reports as not everyone has debit cards.

You will not recieve updates with the free service after the 30 day period.

"The online reports costs £2 each, though...the financially vulnerable can get them free" - is this actually true?

You do not recommend people make sure that all 3 reports shoud correlate.

"If you've a poor credit history or can't get credit because you have no credit history then apply for expensive credit cards." and "Avoid having a joint bank account or mortgage with someone with a patchy credit history."...Are you really allowed to be giving this advice??

Other than that - top info
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Former_MSE_Guy
    Former_MSE_Guy Posts: 1,650 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 14 July 2010 at 6:06PM
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback about Experian.

We have contacted its press office for an explanation given the whole point of this move, and the spirit of it, was to provide instant access to your report.

We have also asked when this problem will be fixed.

Interestingly, as Rupert Bear's post shows, it said on its website yesterday that your passkey will be emailed. Today, it says it will be posted (see text below).

Order Online
    The cost of ordering a statutory credit report online is £2. You can choose to view your report online or to receive it by post within seven working days. If you choose to view your report online, we will post you a passkey once your report is available. This will allow you to log in to a secure area of our site and view your report.

Update, 14 July, 5pm: See the Experian admits delays MSE News story.
  • glossyhair
    glossyhair Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    Credit reports being available on line is/are well overdue . . . one good thing the previous government left us with !!
    mmmm, still seeking something witty to be my auto-signature . . . so this will have to suffice for now ;)
  • CpdButWhy
    Options
    It is still not possible for everyone to get their credit report online (even with further later postal validation) at Equifax.

I came to the UK little bit less than a year and a half ago. I tried to register on the Equifax website for several products (credit report both the statutory postal or the free online or the normal monthly subscription), but it is impossible to do so without providing 6 years of address history.

Needless to say, that it is not possible to specify that you came to the UK less than 6 years ago, nor is it possible to specify foreign addresses, therefore anyone not specifying 6 years of addresses, is not going to be able to register for any of their services.

Does not that violate some ruling defining the mandatory services they need to provide as top-level CRA, by disqualifying anyone with less than 6 years of address history from using their online services?

Best regards,

CpdButWhy
  • tinkerdill
    Options
    i tried today to do the £2 check first with experian and then when their website page said that there was a problem with the page and that my card wouldn't be charged I tried another provider exquifax. after going through all their questions giving them my last 3 addresses and debit card details for the £2 payment the webpage said my debit card didn't work so i tried it again and it said it failed. I checked my account online and there was no problem. by now i gave up trying to do a credit check online. I then went back to my bank account and I have been charged for all three attempts online to get my credit check. £7 gone on nothing! experian said my card wouldn't be charged but it was and exquifax took £4 but claimed my card didn't work. avoid avoid avoid these scam companies. there are countless bad reviews online. I learned too late. tomorrow I will have to go to my bank to request them to re-issue my debit card as some other people have had regular payments taken out.
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    Thanks for raising a two year old dead thread with your incoherent ramblings.

Have you tried calling either of the companies to resolve it?
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    Options
    its a hold not a charge so far, the hold will be released by the bank wiithin a few days
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family