PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dissappointed with Veg

Options
Ok i've been trying to be good and support the local fruit and veg shop. always get good bargins. it has a kind of old farm store look to it and often sells huge trays of things of only a few pence etc.

but last month new owners took over. now it is so clincal in there, nearly everything in fridges, they don't sell off anything cheap anymore. it has all gone up in price and no offers. so i went away dissapointed as only had a couple of £ for veg this week. so off to morrisons i went. i needed satsumas but last week i bought 2 bags in there at £1.99a bag and one bag they were all black inside and the other bag went mouldy over night. so i didn't buy any of those. i bought a swede but when i got home and cut it for tea it was a brown pulply mess inside, the bag of appples i got were brused .

i felt so upset. i don't have money to waste on items i can't fully use. ok my hubby don't mind bruised apples. but out of the whole swede icould only use a tiny bit of it.

so i wanted to know how does everyone rate somerfield for fruit and veg.i don't know of any other local fruit and veg shops. well there is one 8 miles away but the produce is awful. tescos is about 10 miles away. but somerfield i can walk to hence saving on petrol and walk is good for me.

i very rarely shop there so any help is recieved gratefully.

Comments

• recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    I have a Somerfrield near to me and I have to say the fruit and veg is top notch. However I think it does depend on the individual store because another Somerfield a little further afield doesn't have such nice stuff. I am not sure that they sell off much but they do have things like potherbs which I haven't seen anywhere else locally and root veg is all really nice. I would give them a try and I would also take back the veg which was off - if you have chucked it then write to Morrisons head office and tell them and you will get at least the value of the goods in vouchers.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    thanks i did write a letter to them. i find writing to morrisons is easier than going into discuss a prob.
  • tightbarsteward
    Options
    If you have a Lidl or Aldi, both their shops local to me have excellent fruit & veg, much better than the big supermarkets like Asda & Tesco. Lidl even give some away when going out of date. Got some free stuff last Christmas & i could't fault it.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In my local veg shop the stuff is either almost rotten and needs to be eaten that day or way under-ripe, my local supermarkets, Asda, Co-op, Morrisons, Tesco have much better produce IMO
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • seraphina
    seraphina Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our Somerfield is good for fruit and veg - their stock can run a little low at times but on the whole they are very good.

If you have a Waitrose near you, check them out. Their fruit and veg is far and away the best supermarket veg and it is not particularly expensive. For example, at the moment their bags of onions are 20p/kg cheaper than Somerfield. And I know that the Waitrose veg will keep well (so no wastage by throwing out) and taste nice.

Did you tell the new owner you don't like what he's done with the place?
  • Poggie123
    Options
    I've had the same problem with Morrisons veg. I would buy things on Saturday and they'd be on the way out by tuesday...leggy spuds...bendy carrots etc even though they'd been in the fridge. I tried going on different days to see if the new stuff was delivered and would last longer but no luck. In the end we did our main shop at Morrisons and stopped at Tesco's last Saturday on the way home for the veg. Spent £6 ... lots of choice and good quality stuff. 10 days later and it's all still perfect - i'm a happy lass! Perhaps it's worth a trip to Tesco if you only have to go every 2 weeks?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure