🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Career development loan-are they irresponsible lending

Options
LesleyHead
LesleyHead Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 9 July 2010 at 11:31PM in Loans
Hi..My son took out a career development loan for £8000 3years ago to fund his drama course. After 2 years he had to start paying back at £180 per month. When he applied he was working in a different job(so not really relevant to his chosen career of acting) For the last year he has had very little acting work and can only find part time work in the theatre. Therefore he has been unable to keep up with the payments on his loan, his rent etc. My question is does anyone else think that career development loans for acting courses, acting work being notoriously hard to find could be construed as irresponsible lending.

Comments

• vaporate
    vaporate Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Options
    or took a loan on false hope.

irrespnsible borrowing, not lending.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Your son is an adult. He knew his prospects when he took out a loan. He chose to borrow the money.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • BLT_2
    BLT_2 Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    Options
    LesleyHead wrote: »
    Hi..My son took out a career development loan for £8000 3years ago to fund his drama course. After 2 years he had to start paying back at £180 per month. When he applied he was working in a library (so not really relevant to his chosen career of acting) For the last year he has had very little acting work and can only find part time work in the theatre. Therefore he has been unable to keep up with the payments on his loan, his rent etc. My question is does anyone else think that career development loans for acting courses, acting work being notoriously hard to find could be construed as irresponsible lending.

Here we go again, what happened to personal responsibility? The bank bases its loans on an individuals ability to pay, they are not there to assess the professional abilities of the individual to whom they are loaning money.
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    What did he expect?
    Spend £8k and be the next James Bond?
  • vaporate
    vaporate Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Options
    Banks lay the traps I have to say though in defence.

Baited, hooked and reeled in.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Apples2
    Apples2 Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Options
    Seriously... DRAMA??
    A course in Drama was never going to end in riches. I can't see how (or why) they should ban CDL for Acting careers just because it won't drop you into a high paid job at the end.

Are you suggesting Career Development Loans should only be offered to those on a good wage with a good income e.g those who don't need to develop their careers???

I agree with the others, it is essentially a silly decision to borrow money for a course unlikely to end in employment, but nobody else is to blame.
  • EllaKeat
    EllaKeat Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    I do agree with every point made - irresponsible borrowing, not lending. BUT, someone, somewhere needs to control this at some point. Not just 'self learning' but university courses too. Kids are encouraged into taking weak and blooming useless degree courses, building up a massive debt with no hope of useful employment at the end. Some sort of responsible lending needs to be put in place to fund genuinely useful courses. If that applied, then by all means, let students study whatever subject their hearts desire - but must provide the means up front to do so. Result? Less student debt, more realistic expectations and less defaults. This is posted by a mum of 2 uni grads, both with excellent degrees, but lots of money to repay. A touch of realism is needed - before any money is borrowed - does the applicant have any realistic expectation of being able to repay it?
    Sorry - min rant of my own:(
  • BLT_2
    BLT_2 Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    Options
    EllaKeat wrote: »
    I do agree with every point made - irresponsible borrowing, not lending. BUT, someone, somewhere needs to control this at some point. Not just 'self learning' but university courses too. Kids are encouraged into taking weak and blooming useless degree courses, building up a massive debt with no hope of useful employment at the end. Some sort of responsible lending needs to be put in place to fund genuinely useful courses. If that applied, then by all means, let students study whatever subject their hearts desire - but must provide the means up front to do so. Result? Less student debt, more realistic expectations and less defaults. This is posted by a mum of 2 uni grads, both with excellent degrees, but lots of money to repay. A touch of realism is needed - before any money is borrowed - does the applicant have any realistic expectation of being able to repay it?

Why is it always someone else who is supposed to control it at some point? I aint even going to mention personal responsibility again, its wearing thin.
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    I think the problem is that many parents seem to treat 18 year olds as if they are still children. if treated that way, that is the way they will behave.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    EllaKeat wrote: »

I am not aware that they accept kids at universities?
    Gone ... or have I?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family