PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

It seemed such a good idea at the time...

Options
:doh: Hi Everyone.
It seemed such a good idea at the time to try an OS way of making my own 'insect screen' so that I could have the windows open as wide as I liked without the insect/wasp stings which I'm allergic to.
I'd looked around and there weren't any I could find - some in Kleenezzee but they cost so much soooo.....
Enlisting the help of my accomplice, I bought some double -sided sticky tape and put it on my PVC window frames on the inside and then just pushed the net curtains against it to seal it. Brilliant!!! Total success!!!:j
However, there's only so much stickiness on tape before it needs replacing so I tried to peel back the tape - because it's tape right and tape peels off right?:rolleyes: - Not only wouldn't most of it move, but there are residues of the glue around parts of the frame and still strips of the double-sided tape (where I broke every finger nail trying to get it off) which I can't shift.:eek:
Even my beloved Stardrops couldn't move it! :cry:
HELP!:eek:
p.s. I promise not to do any more thinking if you can help me out of this mess!;) Much love Tiff x
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." ~ by Peace Pilgrim.
'You just got Tiffed!' ;)

Comments

• SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello Tiff

I had a similar problem with makeshift curtains...I didn't have any curtains so I taped bits of fabric to the window frames. Worked great, until the sticky residue problem made itself known. The answer I found was a good squirt of WD40, then rub rub rub rub with a microfibre cloth. It'll take ages but it will work, and it won't damage your frames.
  • emg
    emg Posts: 1,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    we bought a really cheap insect screen from lidl that was basically a net curtain however the kit contained self-adhesive velcro to stick to the window frame (the scratchy side of the velcro) - the net sticks fine to this and we have just left the velcro on all the time.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was going to suggest WD40 to but snowy got there before me ;)
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Sallys_Savings
    Options
    nail varnish remover?
  • Tallymanjohn
    Options
    If you pop into Maplins you can get Label Remover in an aerosol - works great on any stubborn adhesive.
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    WD40 is great at removing sticky label residue from things like glass jars.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure