PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Vegetable help

Options
Hope someone can advise me...

I bought a carrot, a courgette, an onion and 2 potatoes yesterday, and put them in our fridge in the garage. When i went to get a potato out this evening, I noticed that the courgette had ice on it, and i think that and the carrot have frozen. The potatoes seemed very cold, leading me to believe they too are frozen. One was ok once nuked in the microwave for dinner, but I am worried that if they thaw, they will go horrible, and since I don't plan to use the carrot and courgette til friday, and the potato thurs, I wondered if I could/should cook them up and then freeze them???

I am useless at this!!
Blood donations to date: 10 | Type: O negative[/B][/CENTER]

Comments

• djohn2002uk
    Options
    I know nothing about courgettes but I don't understand why you think it necessary to put onions, carrots and potatoes in a fridge. I remember my Grandad storing potatoes all through the winter in an outhouse with sacks over them to keep the frost off. Carrots will keep for months just in dry sand so a few days doesn't hurt somewhere cool like the garage and I've kept onions strung up in the garage through untill they are used up around January for years now.
    As for the courgette, I see no difference between it and a cucumber really which my wife does keep in the salad box at the bottom of the fridge but they never freeze. I think your fridge is set way too low.
  • naughty_10382
    Options
    I know nothing about courgettes but I don't understand why you think it necessary to put onions, carrots and potatoes in a fridge. I think your fridge is set way too low.

Force of habit with the carrot - my mum puts them in the salad drawer.

As for the fridge being set too low - it could be but there is other stuff in there that hasn't frozen... :confused:
    Blood donations to date: 10 | Type: O negative[/B][/CENTER]
  • djohn2002uk
    Options
    Don't forget the bottom is always the coldest.
    And force of habit aint good enough:p if it's a bad habit.
    Another thought. If potatoes are affected by the frost (and they are unedible if the frost gets them) then the fridge definitely isn't the place to keep them.
  • chick-chick
    Options
    I put carrots, potatoes and courgettes in the fridge. My neighbour said they keep longer that way :confused:
  • djohn2002uk
    Options
    :confused: You get British Potatoes and Carrots in the supermarkets, greengrocers and marklets all year round and they finished growing before now. Do you think they're going to be kept in great big fridges somewhere????
  • Churchmouse
    Options
    :confused: You get British Potatoes and Carrots in the supermarkets, greengrocers and marklets all year round and they finished growing before now. Do you think they're going to be kept in great big fridges somewhere????

Call me stupid, by all means, but the answer is YES, I did actually think a lot of produce is kept refridgerated!!!!
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • foreverskint
    Options
    up until last year I kept spuds and other veg in a brick outhouse............then the mice came:mad: So now it's the fridge for me.

I have to be careful where abouts in the fridge the veg are. Too far to the back of the fridge and they do freeze, even when nothing else is affected.

:D
  • djohn2002uk
    Options
    ;) I have this vision of all those people who buy the big brown "Value" bags of potatoes from Tescos getting them home and putting them all in the fridge. :rotfl:
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    omg the penny has just dropped .

i always put all my veg in the fridge. ( no not pot's. i leave them in the paper bag in the pantry) but i always thought all veg had to be kept in a fridge. but i've just worked out, when i buy it from a supermarket is it in a fridge ????? NO.

does it last longer in a fridge or is that just a myth ?

i don't really have anywhere to keep it but the fridge thinking about it, but i may transform something else so that i can use it.
  • sarahs999
    sarahs999 Posts: 3,751 Forumite
    Options
    In general anything will last longer if it's in a fridge. THe big supermarkets will only refrigerate what's truly necessary to keep their overheads down.Bananas don't do well in fridges, but as far as I know that's the only thing that should definitely be kept out. I don't bother putting potatoes or onions in the fridge though, but I do with carrots. They definitely last longer than if they're in my veg cupboard.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport