PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Excuse me, that's my herb garden Mr Snail

Options
How can I stop Mr Snail making a bee-line for my coriander? Slugs are not a problem here but snails...... I know it's keeping the local thrush population in food but even they look bewildered with the oncoming march...
But I'm going to say this once, and once only, Gene. Stay out of Camberwick Green :D

Comments

• wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    Crushed eggshells round the base of plants. I know Homebase sell small bags of crushed shells for this purpose if you don't eat enough eggs to gather shells quickly. Failing that, if your coriander is in a pot, Homebase do a copper-coated weed membrane - you could try putting the pot on this to deter the snails.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wigginsmum wrote:
    ....if your coriander is in a pot, Homebase do a copper-coated weed membrane - you could try putting the pot on this to deter the snails.
    The only thing that has worked without disposing of them for me is copper strips that you put round the pot (garden centres etc. have them in a roll). If you get a nice big pot you will have plenty of leaves available. It's the only way I've succeeded in growing lupins.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Rage,

Some of the replies on this thread might help: Snails!!!! in my lawn!!! help

Pink
  • tinselfairy
    Options
    When we were growing beans and lettuce we found that putting down bran kept them from nibbling our plants
    ...it is not of more importance than daily life, which I have an enduring wish to make as useful and beautiful as possible.

Georgie Burne-Jones
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    That's a good idea, tinsel - it'll soak up all their slime.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Rage_in_Eden
    Options
    eggshells - of course - how could i have been so thick....:confused: looks like tomorrow's baking day then!!
    But I'm going to say this once, and once only, Gene. Stay out of Camberwick Green :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure