a bad weekend

Options
I'm feeling a bit cross with myself about having a bad weekend moneysaving.
First of all we went out clubbing on Friday - the OH wanted to as we'd not been out for ages. I only took a little bit of cash but OH spent more than he planned and I feel awful now as I'm not sure it was worth the night out :(

Plus we were travelling to see family which was lovely but always costs:mad:

The to top it off I was feeling miserable and had finished my book so without thinking I bought a magazine and bag of crisps on the way home - what a waste of money! :mad:

I'm not doing very well at being a moneysaver though I did get OH to agree to a grocery shopping limit for each week which is a start - normally when I worry about money he argues that we 'just need to start earning more' but I keep telling him that's not likely!

At least I've got the board to keep me in track - and I get paid on the 12th so I can check what's going on for the new moneysaving month then....
Grocery Challenge: target 400: so far spent 247
Credit Card [STRIKE]3231[/STRIKE] 3218
Overdraft [STRIKE]1215[/STRIKE] 1122.27

Comments

• MustStopSpending
    Options
    I struggle with my other half some time, he earns more than me and moans when I don't have any money. I just keep thinking that once I'm debt free I can enjoy everything guilt free so I let him moan, it's all about me in the long run!! It takes this little slip ups to make us see clearly again, life can't be all scrimping and saving!!
  • angelsam1984
    Options
    Hi

I know exactly how you feel!

My OH is a snack aholic and always 'has to' go t the shop for crisps sweets etc drives me crazy!
    this weekend we bought an outfit for the baby - cant be helped!
    OH spent £22 at Halfords on erm stuff
    Then demanded we go to tesco twice so spent £15 on crap on sunday
    Then went again yesterday and managed to bring the total up to £85! WHen I only did the shopping last wednesday!
    It would have only been about £50 but he bought some creatin and meal supplements and body building snacks. - I want him to loose weight not put it on!
    Now he wants to go to wales to see his kids and family - approx spend £150 argh!
    I want to be debt free by xmas next year (by getting a job) and he really doesnt help!
    Oh well nvm I guess OH's are a horrible addition to the figt in getting debt free.
    I am thinking of opening my own bank account and allocating him pocket money to cover his crap and petrol............

Good Luck with switching his spending!

Sam
    Debt [STRIKE]01/09/2006 = £10500[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]14/09/06= 9034.43[/STRIKE] 15/09/2006 [STRIKE]£8530[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£7832.32[/STRIKE] 01/01/2007=£4866.40
    Was £15000
    Natwest charges (£1205)Reclaimed in full!!
    Citi Cards charges(Approx £2000)

Debt free Date 01/04/2007
  • vodkabarbie
    Options
    Yes it's hard - he wanted us to go out to cheer us up as we've not been out for ages, then he ends up paying for everything and I feel bad :(
    I've said in future we should BOTH do what I did and just take out the cash we CAN afford, then when it runs out there's no danger of overspending because you've got your cash card or extra in your pocket...and if we can't we should stay in.
  • looneyleo
    Options
    Vodkabarbie...

so you fell off the wagon a little, but hey it isn't that bad...things could be a lot worse (you could have spent a lot more!)...As long as you are back on the straight and narrow now...good luck with the MSE lifestyle!
  • KittyKate
    KittyKate Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    Options
    Why don't you join pigsback (if you haven't already) and get lesiure vouchers? You can go out for nice meals and a few drinks, or coffee, or a day out for free, so no guilt! Me and my OH save our vouchers up for TGI Fridays as you get a voucher for buy 1 meal get 1 free (and the food is gorgeous). And there's no hangover the next day ;)
  • vodkabarbie
    Options
    KittyKat, I will check it out - I've joined Quidco but didn't know about Pigsback!
    I'm also a member of the Wagamama online club thing which is free to sing up so I occasionally get vouchers there too ;)

Thanks for the kind words guys - glad to know I'm not the only one who has the odd slip up, I'm new to this and it's taking time to adjust!
  • going2die_rich
    Options
    Only withdraw how much money you actually need from a cash machine. I don't know about yourself but if I think I have to go and get some cash to spend it I just don't bother as I am lazy for things like that. If you always have in the back of your mind that the credit cards are off limit, each time you go to get cash out you can get a receipt which will hopefully trigger your tight pocket dreams when you see your balance. Works for me.
  • clarkylou
    Options
    Hi Vodkabarbie,

Know how you feel, also spent over my budget at the weekend due to friend leaving for Oz for two years, so drinks & dinner. Then a friends little boys birthday yesterday. OH got a couple of gigs at the weekend, but ended up spending all the money while he was doing them (not a lot of money). This week should be a bit better, he's away tomorrow for gigs and then to visit his parents, I have a gig on Friday and then travelling to meet up with him. Will cost about £50 to get to his parents, but will spend min once there and hopefully the piece and quiet will let me concentrate on getting in some more gigs.

Don't worry about it not going to plan all the time, there will be times when you save more money than expected. Don't feel bad for living, you can't become a hermit. :beer:
    Lightbulb moment June 06 Total Debt. £16665.06 :eek:

Total Debt December 2006 £14,354:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family