Fed up!

Options
Hi, I've posted here once before re payplan. I was complaining that my debts appear to be going up rather than down. I keep sending my case officer emails asking why and get a standard response, obviously copied and pasted every time -

"Payplan have no control over Creditors charging their clients interest and fee's. They are within their rights to do this.
However we understand that if these are charged then it takes longer to clear your outstanding balances. Therefore we will contact the specific Creditor/Creditors and request that interest is frozen and any additional fee's are removed. If a Creditor agrees then they usually start with a six month interest free period. After this time we will need to re-send the request and await their reply. If the interest is not frozen then nearer the end of the arrangement we will request that all interest that has been added onto your account, is written off. From experience we find Creditors will do this.

I have written to all creditors today asking that interest and cahrges be removed. We await their reply."

I never hear whether the request has been accepted.

Today I finally phoned them and spoke to a very helpful man. Apparently we owed £30,000 at the start of the plan, not the £19,000 we were aware of. Which means we have paid off approx £9,000.

However, I'm sure we didn't owe £30,000 but how do I find out the exact amount we owed? I know how bad it sounds, but I don't even know who we owe the money to anymore, as they've been passed around to so many different compaines. We were so relieved to pass on the debt to someone else that we've paid the arranged sum every month and haven't even questioned it until now - talk about burying our heads in the sand! I haev a list of all the present creditors, can they give me a statement from the very beginning?

I know we've been stupid, but now I don't really know what to do about it.

A big problem we have is that in order to pay the payplan account we have stayed living in a dump of a house because the rent is low. It now looks like the place is about to be condemned so we'll have to move. We're on the council list and I've applied to some housing associations but it looks like we'll probably have to rent privately again, meaning a massive increase in rent. We will then only be able to pay a very very small amount towards our debts.

Has anyone just paid the bare minimum and kept the debts long term? Once my kids are all in school our income should increase, in the distant future (hopefully) we will inherit enough to pay off the lot.

Sorry this is very jumbled, I feel really sick and shaken, discovering we owe over £10,000 more than we thought, plus it's hard getting peace to type this with 2 lo's running riot!

I would be grateful for any advice
Thank you.

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hiya

I really dont know about payplan, but surely could you ask them for a copy of the docs that you must have had something at the start of the DMP to say how much was owed where and what you were agreeing to. Surely you can see your file under the Data Protection Act. Anyone know about this??

Second
    A big problem we have is that in order to pay the payplan account we have stayed living in a dump of a house because the rent is low. It now looks like the place is about to be condemned so we'll have to move. We're on the council list and I've applied to some housing associations but it looks like we'll probably have to rent privately again, meaning a massive increase in rent. We will then only be able to pay a very very small amount towards our debts.

When you say condemned do you mean Env health are coming round to make a decision as to whether the property is fit for human habitation?
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Iwsy
    Iwsy Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.

Yes the council are supposed to be sending someone over because the place is in bad repair and the landlord is unwilling to do anything. Feel a bit mean involving them but we're fed up of paying rent to live in a **** hole! We're only guessing that they'll condemn it because there's holes in windows and walls etc. amongst other things.

Will phone all the creditors on the list as soon as I can think straight, can't get past the housing problem at the moment tbh!

Anyway thanks for answering my moan ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport