Solar Panels and wind turbines

Hi, i already know about getting (possible) free solar panels from A Shade greener, but how about wind turbines? we have about 50 acres and was wondering who i can contact about having a wind turbine or anything money saving and green too?

Thanks
Is a Bipolar bear :p

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I am not aware of anyone supplying 'free' wind turbines in a similar scheme to ASG.

There are several threads on the merits/demerits of wind turbines in the section of MSE.

Essentially the very small ones are a waste of money. The bigger(and more expensive) turbines can be worthwhile it would appear, as long as you have a really windy location, say, exposed on the top of a hill.
  • dane-katie
    dane-katie Posts: 961 Forumite
    Its extremely windy here, i would like one put on our land that generates 2MW, like Ecotricity did in Worksop (which was organised by my dad but B&Q paid for it) which cost something like 1.5 million pounds, think i will ring Ecotricity and see what they say.

Thanks
  • feesh
    feesh Posts: 328 Forumite
    A 2MW wind turbine will be about 125m high so you will need to go through a hideous planning battle to get it consented. I work for a wind farm developer and can confirm that cost would be about right, but you can't just buy one off Ecotricity.

They would pay for it and erect it (they buy their turbines from Enercon in Germany) and you as the landowner would receive a rental payment for allowing it to be put on your land. Ecotricity would normally retain ownership of the turbine, sell the electricity and keep the profits from it.
  • feesh
    feesh Posts: 328 Forumite
    PS why don't you consider putting your own up? It will be a lot less hassle and you would be able to own it and sell any excess electricity back to the grid, plus reap the benefits of the Feed in Tariff for every unit it generates.

Try contacting Proven or Segen and get them to come out and do you a site survey and give you a quote. My friend's dad has just had a Segen put in on his farm in Cornwall and is really happy with it. You'll still have a planning battle on your hands, but it won't be as bad as for a 2MW machine. The only slight issue is that these smaller ones are, as I understand it, a bit noisier than the commercial ones so you'd need to consider how close to your neighbours you are.

http://www.segen.co.uk/

http://www.provenenergy.co.uk/
  • dane-katie wrote: »
    Hi, i already know about getting (possible) free solar panels from A Shade greener, but how about wind turbines? we have about 50 acres and was wondering who i can contact about having a wind turbine or anything money saving and green too?

Thanks

banks lend against future payments
    rbs , co-op etc
    for pv & wind or hybrid pv/wind systems
    FITs are for 25 years
    system takes 7-15 years to pay for itself - sign to the bank
    after that tax free index linked payments to you
    gret long term ROI & eco pension
    pv has higher tarrifs and longer up to 25 years warranty
  • Jon_Tiffany
    Jon_Tiffany Posts: 393 Forumite
    There is only one company offering wind turbines with an offer like a shade greener, they are called SolarVentus:

www.solarventus-energy.co.uk

I believe they will consider installing larger turbines if the land is suitable. Probably best to contact them and see what they say.

You could of course buy one yourself, but the planning process is difficult and stressful, plus do you really want to sink that kind of capital into something for 25years?
  • dane-katie
    dane-katie Posts: 961 Forumite
    Thanks, i dont have the money to put up our own wind turbine, but we have the land for one or two to be added, i have just looked on solar ventus and seems like we should be ok so i have messaged them hopefully we will get one, cant moan though we are fully electric and our bill is about £1000 per year, for our house plus the barns.
  • ESKIMO
    ESKIMO Posts: 254 Forumite
    Alternatively you could always just scout out a load of "gash" calculators from your local waste/recyling facility or buy them cheep as chips from car-boot fayre, then take them home, "rip-out" (sorry, carefully remove) the photovoltaic module (solar thingy-me-jig) and "hook" (connect) them up in series to a couple of rechargeable batteries. - The ones inside the "duff/gash" calculators should do the job.

Then, get an adaptor from Amazon or eBay or wherever to be able to charge say a mobile phone. Leave all the cells by a window. = Free Electricity all for about a tenner i recon.

Never tried it mind, hence "patent pending". Lol.

In theory it works, although the pay-back/value (time-and effort) depends if the second hand value of the "useless bits" exceed the amount saved from disassembling it in the first place. In which case, sit on your hands and fingers and ignore everthing i just said.

Ohhh look... tumbleweed... Lol.
    Young At Heart and Ever The Optimist: "You can't sell ice to Eskimo."

Waste Not, Want Not. - Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.
  • Or you could download the 'Build Your Own Wind Turbine' instructions from this site:
    Wind-Turbine-24v.com

Then go to your local scrap dealer for most of the parts and generate away!
  • Lucywu2012
    Lucywu2012 Posts: 12 Forumite
    You can find it in the google or other serving energe. I believe it's easy to find out!
    I AM VERY GLAD TO COME HERE!!:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport