Horray - OH moving nearer to LB moment

Options
Looks like all my moaning about OH's debt and 'gentle encouragement' to get his backside on here might pay off.

He has been looking for a job (after being self employed for years - which IMHO is what got him in this mess) and was looking for about £35k, which will just cover his debt and his contribution to our house and leave him a little for himself.

He has just been offered a 3 month trial with a company and for the first 3 months they have offered him £200 a day 5 days a week (thats £52 before tax). At the end of the three months (or before possibly) there will be a managerial position available with a company car!

and the best bit is he has sat down and budgeted for it all inc fuel etc and said whatever is left is going to go towards paying off his debt sooner! at last i think it is sinking in that he will only pay it off sooner if he pays more than the min payments!!

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OMG!!

Thats amazing :beer:

Something my OH said a few weeks back, I meant to mention to you, he said "if I get this ne job, It means I can start paying my debt back" I said "well you should be paying it back in any case". He started giving me the impression, he can only tread water now, but in the future he can make inroads.

I wonder if your OH is meaning the same

Incidentally my OH got a new job too- he starts on monday, moneys better and hes really chuffed and its contract till MArch :beer:
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • loopyloulou_3
    Options
    im well pleased!

and well done to your OH! That is really good news

he is making the min payments on everything, and Im hoping that he will now start increasing these payments and getting rid of some of it. It would make me sleep a lot easier!

and he was watching Make Me Rich on tv the other day! I couldnt believe my eyes!
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OMG

At long last this is AMAZING

God I really hope that this is the turning point I really do

QUICK, give him the money diet!!!!!!!!

:beer:
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • mintymoneysaver
    Options
    I wish mine would do the same....we have a joint account for bills and savings, which is always dealt with together, openly, anda joint credit card, for family purchases, but we also have £250 pocket money each a month to do with as we wish, and it's that I wish he'd sort out.I'm desperately trying to get rid of my overdraft, as you can see from my sig, he is always in credit on his bank account, usually has a balance of about £300 at the end of each month from what I can tell, due to underspending, but owes £1500 on a credit card.I keep gently persuading him to do something about it, i.e " If you don't pay some of that back you'll be paying for this year's football season ticket next year...." I thought he was getting there, he put all the debt on a 0% card for 15 months, and I thought I had drilled into him not to spend on it, but he has paid for something on it, so now he'll pay interest for 15 months! ( he hasn't told me this, I saw his statement!) It won't be much, but once you've seen the light it's so annoying when people do things you know are wrong....I don't want to nag, it is his choice, it doesn't impede on any of our finances, but it's driving me mad! He does pay back more than the minimum payment but I just wish that lightbulb would shine a bit brighter!
  • loopyloulou_3
    Options
    i keep leaving it around - hoping he might pick it up and decide to have a look!

I hope it is too, im not convinced he is totally "there" yet, but its all positive steps - for him to suggest if he gets more money he will pay off debt - i am amazed!

I even said should we go to our local very very cheap working mans club on teh way home to celebrate and he said "i dont want to waste any money!" I am speechless!!
  • loopyloulou_3
    Options
    i know what you mean, its frustrating. Honestly i have felt like bashing my head against a brick wall over the past year or so. I just hope this change lasts for more than a week!!

Whoever has stolen my boyfriend, please dont send him back! i prefer the sensible new one!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure