Urgent help needed!!!!!!

Options
After applying for a job with a bank and completeing 3 interview stages I have recieved a letter saying they would normally at this stage offer me the position, however as they are unable to give me a bank account due to a credit check with Experian they cannot employ me. It did state on the appplication that a bank account with them was required.

I have got my cedit report from Experian and i have a defalut with a bank for £1320. This debt is being paid to a debt collection company and now stands at £930.

I also have a debt with a catalogue for £1232 which is showing as being defalted. I moved and at that time I did owe about £350 this was a number of years ago and obviousley with interest it snowballed. I am not currentley paying this off.

I contacted the bank and they said if I can bring in proof on Monday that I am repaying my debts their credit dept will review my application.

Obviousley I can show proof that I'm paying off the debt to the other bank but what should i say regarding the catalogue debt?

I have been made redundant and at the moment I'm unemployed and I only have a basic bank account. I have 2 young boys to feed and keep a roof over their heads, i really need this job.

What do you think my chances are? Can any one give me some advice? PLEASE HELP!!!

Comments

• rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know if this helps, but banks can be funny. I have a friend who works for the bank and he tells me he is not allowed to be overdrawn, even by one penny. Did get a cheap mortgage though.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • homersimpson_3
    Options
    because banks manage other people's money it is usually condition of employment your account is with them, you are not overdrawn and no ccjs. if people are made bankrupt they cannot work in certain professions and ccj with some jobs can result in disciplinary action. argument is how can you be trusted with other people's money if you can't manage your own. brings bank or organisation into disrepute etc.
    Obviousley I can show proof that I'm paying off the debt to the other bank but what should i say regarding the catalogue debt?
    the truth- is there any way you could make some sort of payment on catalogue debt prior to speaking to bank again. explain the circumstances, the usual stuff about the job and say you have begun to make some effort. you will be able to pay more once you receive salary from job and aim to put all spare money towards debt and never get into position again. draw up a statement saying how you will do this e.g. income x amount, outgoings y amout leaving z amount which i will use to repay debt. if i pay z amount each month these debts shall be paid off in a months.
    the bank seem to be meeting you half way-
    It did state on the appplication that a bank account with them was required....I contacted the bank and they said if I can bring in proof on Monday that I am repaying my debts their credit dept will review my application.
    you knew you would have to a bank account with them when you applied- you could have asked them about all the debts before submitting application - they didn't have to review your application etc
  • boom123_2
    Options
    Okay I can't make any payment towards the catalogue debt as I only found out about it on friday and it is from 4.5 years ago at a previous address. I'm seeing the recruitment pers at the bank tomorrow so can't show proof i'm repaying.

I am going to take your advice and tell them that I was unaware of the catalogue debt which has come as a shock to me. I am investigating this debt but however if the amount owing was correct I would repay it giving them figures as to i will manage it.

Does anyone know if I contact the catalogue (littlewoods) will they still have statements showing how i came to owe them £1232 because I'm sure this is not correct. Will they simply pass me over to a debt agency?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure