Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

General mortgage application question

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
2 replies 409 views
shimanoshimano Forumite
157 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
I am going to apply for my first mortgage anyday now as a first time buyer.

My situation is;

- 60k deposit on ~300k place (20%)
- clean credit record (score 999)
- salary 55k exc bonus (10-20%)
- credit card debt of £7,000 (£15k available), on 0% until next May, will be paid off by then, no more spend on it. Plan would be £500-£1000 per month, and part of bonus to pay remaining in January.

Will the credit card debt count against me? I haven't had any late payments, my record is 100% clean (I check it every 2 weeks to make sure it is clean). Would the bank take into account it's 0% and I have a solid plan to clear?

Replies

• iamana1iasiamana1ias Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    shimano wrote: »
    I am going to apply for my first mortgage anyday now as a first time buyer.

My situation is;

- 60k deposit on ~300k place (20%)
    - clean credit record (score 999)
    - salary 55k exc bonus (10-20%)
    - credit card debt of £7,000 (£15k available), on 0% until next May, will be paid off by then, no more spend on it. Plan would be £500-£1000 per month, and part of bonus to pay remaining in January.

Will the credit card debt count against me? I haven't had any late payments, my record is 100% clean (I check it every 2 weeks to make sure it is clean). Would the bank take into account it's 0% and I have a solid plan to clear?

It will reduce the amount they will lend you on affordability grounds.

Mind you, you aren't going to get the 4+ x salary multiple you'd be looking for anyway.
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
  • shimanoshimano Forumite
    157 Posts
    Thanks. I've been told by a few banks I could borrow what I need given the 20% deposit I have. Given the stats I have, am I likely to be rejected or not
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals