Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Worth applying for a mortgage yet?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
3 replies 778 views
Moomin21Moomin21 Forumite
212 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
Hi

My boyfriend and I are currently saving for a deposit but want to apply for a mortgage and see what we can get. He has recently been turned down for a loan and a phone contract, will this have a major impact on what we can borrow, and will we need a larger deposit than usual? If so, what sort of percentage?

He earns £19000, i earn £18152 (NHS, Don't ask!) and we have nearly 10k so far. Looking at houses around 100k

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Replies

• Bit concerning about the recent declines - any idea what caused them?
  • herbiesjpherbiesjp Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    Have you got copies of your credit files, to make sure there are no problems on there?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • If you cannot get a couple of hundred quid credit for a mobile phone contract, you have no chance of a mortgage. Get your credit files and stop applying for credit.
This discussion has been closed.