PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Advice please getting rid of dog wee from wooden floors-sorry

Options
:confused: sorry for those with dodgy stomaches but i could do with a bit of advice please
we have recently moved house the lady before had dogs and am sure i get the odd wiff of dog pee on the wooden floor at the bottom of the stairs
any advice how to get rid of this please, have tried disinfectant and floor cleaner and bleach too
many thanks in advance

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi cookiemonster,

Bicarbonate of soda is good at getting rid of smells.....although I'm not sure how well it would work on a wooden floor.

Try mixing some bicarb with a little water to make a paste, 'paint' onto the floor and leave to dry. Once dry, hoover up the residue.

Pink
  • justin138
    Options
    Guess what - white vinegar will shift that smell! Wouldn't you just know it :)
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I second the vinegar suggestion ... just having potty trained DD ;)
    GC - March 2024 -
  • cookiemonster25
    Options
    thansk you all so much, may finaly be able to take the peg off my nose:T
  • squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Ive read on this board that someone gave the floorboards a lick of varnish,this seals the odour into the wood.
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    squiggles wrote:
    Ive read on this board that someone gave the floorboards a lick of varnish,this seals the odour into the wood.

would you want to seal it in though!!!! isnt it best to get rid of it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport