PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Refreezing meat

Options
After months of lurking thought it was time to register and say hello.

I have so far managed to cut my food budget down from over £500 :o to £360 thanks to all the tips I have picked up on here. But there is still work to do. So time for a stupid question.

I know that once you have defrosted meat you can not refreeze it, but if you froze it raw and then cook it can you then refreeze the cooked meat or do I have to use it as soon as possible?

Thanks

Comments

• Addiscomber
    Options
    Yes. You can freeze the cooked dish.
  • Thanks for the quick reply.

At least I won't have to have left overs a few days in a row now - the family will be pleased.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Daydream_Believer,

Welcome to MSE and in particular to Old Style :hello:

There is no such thing as a stupid question on here. ;) If meat has been frozen raw you can thaw it and cook it and then refreeze it perfectly safely.

Pink

Edited to add: Sorry Addiscomber, I must be really slow at typing.:o
  • Hi Daydream_Believer,

Welcome to MSE and in particular to Old Style :hello:

There is no such thing as a stupid question on here. ;) If meat has been frozen raw you can thaw it and cook it and then refreeze it perfectly safely.

Pink

Thanks for the welcome :D

Although after a few days of silly questions from me you may learn that there are stupid questions:o Now why was my mum never OS and was a chicken nuggets type of cook :rolleyes:
  • Addiscomber
    Options
    Edited to add: Sorry Addiscomber, I must be really slow at typing.:o
    LOL probably the first and only time in my life to be first at anything, and I can only type with 2 fingers :D
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Welcome to the board Daydream Believer:)

Just to add to the advice already given- freeze once raw and once cooked.
    So don't defrost a cooked meat dish and then put any leftovers back in the freezer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport