Fix again or not at present????

Options
My 5 year fixed rate(4.89%) with the Nationwide comes to an end in August. I'm in a quandry as whether to let it go to variable rate at present in light of lower rates or arrange another fixed or similar?
I have approx. £90k mortgage (house was valued 5 years ago at £185k). Any advice anyone could give me?

Comments

• geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    Options
    if it was me i would fix but only you can make the decision about the state of the economy..i think its in a basket and gone to hell but others think we are just out of a recession? you choose
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • Euphoria1z
    Euphoria1z Posts: 952 Forumite
    Options
    personally i would take advantage of the low svr and then over pay and bring that 90k down even further, then keep checking on here, the moment theres a hint of rates rising, then fix, as it could well stay this low for another yr. and when you do fix, fix for as long as possible. Thats what i would do personally.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    +1 Euphoria1z
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    What is the low SVR? If it's the 2.5% I'd stick with that, overpay, but understand the risks of doing so.

If you move on to another product I believe they remove your "right" to go on to the old low SVR when your product ends.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure