Bankruptcy and tenants rights

Options
Hi all, I'm new to this site but have got a date to attend court to file for bankruptcy on 26/7/10. My worry is that I have a flat that will be repossessed in the bankruptcy (mortgage is with birmingham midshires and not buy to let although they do know that I have been renting it out and were not happy but have not stopped me from doing so) I have a tenant in my flat currently, only 1 month into a 6 month tenancy agreement (made through a letting agent). I am worried that when the tenant gets evicted I could be prosecuted for going bankrupt and therefore teminating the tenancy early, does anyone know if there are any legal issues with this...I haven't informed the letting agency or the mortgage company yet and am seeking advice from Consumer Credit Counselling Service. Has anyone got any experience with this or can offer any advice it would be really appreciated...I want to inform the tenant asap so he has chance to sort things out for himself, feel awaful about the situation but also want to protect myself. Many Thanks.

Comments

• curly04
    curly04 Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the site

I can't help you on what wil happen with the flat but if I was you I would be phoning the letting agents today. If you leave this to long it is unfair on the tennant.

Something like this happened to a friend of mine years ago, and they had spent a lot of money on things like curtains, decorating etc, so the sooner the better in letting people know.
    Total Weight Loss - 28lb and counting
    AD 17/11/2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family